[Alsfastball] Fw: PRESS RELEASE- 2004 Canadian Masters Fastball Championship

James Flanagan jimflan at earthlink.net
Wed Jun 30 18:39:46 EDT 2004

Media Release
For immediate release
June 30 / 2004

2004 Canadian Masters Fastball Championship Update.

( Cobourg, Ont. )  The newly formed Canadian Masters Fastball Association
have been working in overdrive gear making preparations for their inaugural
Canadian Masters
Fastball Championship. The tournament is really starting to take shape from
designing our own logo
to bringing on a Western Canadian Representative and appointing a tournament
convener.

The Canadian Masters Fastball Championship is not affiliated with Softball
Canada but the tournament will have all the bells and whistles and glitz and
glamour of a true
Canadian Championship.We will have Gold medals and jackets for the Canadian
Champions and Silver
and Bronze medals for 2nd and 3rd place teams. We will have the usual
souvenir t-shirts, hats
etc. for sale and a photographer will be on hand to take team photos.
We will have 1st and 2nd Team All - Canadian awards.

Cobourg Legion Fields was the host site of the Canadian Masters Championship
back in the late 90's.  Harry Jeschke and his merry crew did a fantastic job
hosting the tournament
and Harry is famous for keeping the diamonds in pristine condition.

We will be using the official rules of Softball Canada for the most part. We
will need to tweak some of the rules regarding age eligibility etc.
Ontario, Softball Canada and the Eastern
Canadian's all have different age rules so we strived to even the playing
field to attract teams from every province.

Pitchers and players must be a minimum of 40 years of age in the year of the
event ( as per Softball Canada ) however ALL teams will be allowed 5 "
UNDERAGE " players between the age of
35 - 39. Thirty-five year old players must be 35 as of Jan. 1st 2004.  These
underage players can not
pitch. For non-Ontario teams that use 40 year old players exclusively they
will be permitted to pick - up
a maximum of 5 underage players from anywhere within their own province. All
teams will have to register and
compete in their own provincial tournament to be eligible for the 2004
Canadian Masters Fastball Championship.
We may offer all-star status to teams wishing to come that don't have a
provincial tournament to compete in.
We will be offering a men's division only for 2004 but would be more then
happy to accept women's teams in 2005.

There will be 5 berths available for each province so in theory any team
competing in their own provincial tournament
is eligible to play in the 2004 Canadian Masters Fastball Championship.

We have revised our tournament date by dropping Thursday and
kicking things off on the Friday. The official date is Friday Sep. 3rd.
through Sunday Sep 5th. with Monday Sep. 6th set aside for rain out make up
games.

Stay tuned for our next press release to be issued on or about Monday July
5th.  In our next press release we will be naming our Western rep. and
tournament
convener and we will also be announcing 3 automatic berths.
We will also announce the tournament format and entry fee.

Softball Canada has been in contact with us and we have asked for their
guidance and support for our pilot project.
We are striving to do everything Softball Canada does since they do
everything on such a grand scale.

In summary, we want to host the 2004 Canadian Masters Fastball Championship
with enough flexibility to accommodate every province but most important
is the fact we want this tournament to have the look and feel of a Canadian
Championship.

Canadian Masters Fastball Association Executive

Wayne Wells - President
wwells39 at cogeco.ca

Dave Birnie - Vice President
ranger11 at idirect.com