[Alsfastball] 2004 Snapper Shootout Wrap-up

Al Doran aldoran at pmihrm.com
Wed Aug 4 10:54:05 EDT 2004

From: "Perry Bartley" <misterpaulo at hotmail.com>
To: fastball at pmihrm.com
Subject: 2004 Snapper Shootout Wrap-up
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2004 09:58:45 -0400

St. Catharines, ON

The 2004 Snapper Shootout was held this past weekend in St. Catharines, ON.
On the Saturday, it appeared the tournament title would go to mother nature.

Heavy rains dumped on Lancaster Park, starting mid Friday and did not let
up until app. 24 hours later.  When the rain finally stopped the diamonds
were in very bad condition.  There were many times when this tournament
appeared to be in jeopardy.  Small lakes took up much of the outfield on
both diamonds and the infields were pure mud.  Speaking of mud, it wouldn't
be me if I didn't sling a little bit toward the City of St. Catharines.  So
here we go......Despite the lack of cooperation from the City Park Supervisor
(lets call him "Randy"), the tournament was able to resume with 2 games on
the main diamond starting at 8pm.

I would like to thank everyone who assisted in getting the diamonds
playable.  Players from several teams took the time to assist the organizing
committee in getting these diamonds in game shape.  At one point in time
there must have been over 30 players and fans working on Diamond #2.  Notice
how I didn't mention a City employee.  "Randy" made it quite clear that the
City of St. Catharines was only worried about how they could possibly be
sued for liability.  It didn't matter that a team from Ottawa had made the 6
hour drive.

The tournament organizing committee was told by "Randy" that the City would
do everything possible to help us make it a go.  Ten minutes later he is
demanding we turn off our electric pumps that are draining the outfield
lakes.  The City could be liable you know if someone got hurt.  After
asking, if the City could then take over this job, we were told that would not
be possible because the student staff have not been trained for such a task
and of course that would be a health and safety issue.  Randy's solution, we
could start bailing with pails and wheelbarrows or wait for evaporation.
What a genius!  OK teams, how about coming back lets say in 4 or 5 days.

So we started to bail, only to have "Randy" put a stop to that because
apparently we were damaging the diamonds.  Excuses, excuses.  Good thing
"Randys" day was done at 3pm.  Once he left, the tournament volunteers
resumed their efforts.

The decision making process of this City employee left much to be desired
and it's unfortunate that one person can leave the City of St. Catharines
looking incompetent and thoughtless.  Good job, "Randy".

Enough of that....on with the Fastball!

The tournament format had to be modified and games were limited to no inning
starting after 1 hour and ten minutes.  The Final game pitted two local
teams with the Niagara B&W Motors Snappers defeating the St. Catharines RHCP
by a score of 10-3.

Here is a complete run down of all games played.

Saturday July 31:
game # 1
New York Bombers 5
Niagara B&W Motors Snappers 0
wp:  Chuck Smith
lp: Jim Wilson

game # 2
Ottawa 1
St. Catharines RHCP 0
wp: Ray Shanoush
lp: Andy Hicks

Sunday Aug 1
game # 3
Niagara B&W Motors Snappers 5
Niagara Falls Macks 0
wp: Jay Paylove
lp: Rich Vassos

game # 4
Ottawa 3
Dunnville 0
wp: Vanvliet
lp: Harvey

game # 5
St. Catharines RHCP 6
Niagara Falls Lukes 0
wp: Dan Duemo
lp: Ron Winger

game # 6
New York Bombers 1
Niagara Falls Macks 1
Bombers: Chuck Smith
Macks: Mike Bateman

game # 7
Niagara B&W Motors Snappers 8
Niagara Falls Central 1
wp: Perry Bartley
lp: Rob Tommins

game # 8
St. Catharines RHCP 4
Dunnville 1
wp: Andy Hicks
lp: Brent Fehrman

game # 9
Niagara Falls Lukes 6
Ottawa 1
wp: Scott Young
lp: ?

game # 10
Niagara Falls Macks 5
Niagara Falls Central 0
wp: Rich Vassos - PERFECT GAME (5 innings)
lp: N. Rodgers

game # 11
Dunnville 6
Niagara Falls Lukes1
wp: Brian Weaver
lp: Dave Taylor

game # 12
New York Bombers 5
Niagara Falls Central 5
Bombers: Larry Puzzan
Central: Rob Tommins

game # 13
"A" SEMIS
St. Catharines RHCP 5
New York Bombers 3
wp: Dan Duemo
lp: Chuck Smith

game # 14
"A"  SEMIS
Niagara B&W Motors Snappers 8
Ottawa 1
wp: Jay Paylove
lp: Ray Shanoush

game # 15
"FINALS"
Niagara B&W Motors Snappers 10
St. Catharines RHCP 3
wp: Perry Bartley - Jay Paylove in relief in the 6th
lp: Andy Hicks

Thankyou to all the volunteers who made this weekend a success despite the
weather.  Thanks to Len Gorgie and his Blue Crew for their flexibility and
a job well done and thanks to all the teams for putting on a great weekend
of Fastball.  Hope to see you all back next year.

Take Care,

Perry Bartley
2004 Snapper Shootout Organizing Committee
Mailto:misterpaulo at hotmail.com

  Als Fastball List
*Email: fastball at pmihrm.com