[Alsfastball] Canada wins first game of 2004 Olympic softball competition

Al Doran aldoran at pmihrm.com
Sat Aug 14 10:45:15 EDT 2004

For immediate release
Saturday August 14

Canada wins first game of 2004 Olympic softball competition

(Ottawa, ON)  Canada's Women's Softball Team defeated Chinese
Taipei 2-0 in their first game of Olympic softball competition
in Athens, Greece.

"The game was about the breaks and we got a couple of breaks
today - one of them was on the bunt situation in the 4th when
our runner going to second was safe, stated Head Coach Mike Renney.
 We ended up getting two runs later in that inning and the other
break was when we shut down Chinese Taipei when they loaded the
bases," added Renney.

" This was a huge win for our team," stated Pitcher Lauren Bay.
 "Every win at the Olympics is a big win but because we are young,
this first game win was huge."  Bay said:  "Every win will build
momentum for the team and its obviously nice to get the first
game out of the way."

It was veteran Jackie Lance who had the RBI's for Canada.   Lance
drove in both runs in the 4th inning when she hit a double down
the left field line to score both Angela Lichty and Rachel Schill.
 Lichty made it on base on an error at 3rd.  Schill hit a single.

Canada had a close call when in the 5th inning, with 1 out, Chinese
Taipei loaded the bases. Taipei had two singles and a walk to
load the bases.  The Taipei batter then hit in the infield and
Bay picked it up and threw it home for the forced out.  Canadian
Catcher Erin Cumpstone then attempted to throw to first base
when the Taipei runner went home and was called out on an interference
call by the umpire for the third out.

Canada's Lauren Bay was the winning pitcher who pitched 7 innings,
gave up 4 hits, 9 strikeouts and allowed 3 walks.  Lauren hit
lots of good spots and did not get into any trouble except in
the 3rd inning when she gave up few walks.  Canada had 2 runs
on 5 hits, 0 errors

Both Rachel Schill and Jackie Lance went 2 for 3, hit both a
single and double each.  Kristy Odamura had a single.

BOX SCORE

Teams
 1
 2
 3
 4
 5
 6
 7

Chinese Taipei
 0
 0
 0
 0
 0
 0
 0
 0
 4
 0

Canada
 0
 0
 0
 2
 0
 0
 -
 2
 5
 0

Canada is now 1-0 and will play Greece at 12:30pm ET on Sunday
and China at 2:30am ET on Monday August 16.

Team Canada's profiles and stats as well as previous Olympic
results and photos can be viewed on the Softball Canada website
at www.softball.ca.  For more information, please contact Lisette
Johnson-Stapley, Marketing & Communications Director, Softball
Canada at 613-795-1996 (Cel.) or lstapley at softball.ca or 613-523-3386
ext. 3105.

*Please note that TSN is scheduled to broadcast the game this
game this evening.

TEAM CANADA – Olympic Roster

Pitchers

Ani Nyhus, Surrey, BC

Lauren Bay, Trail, BC

Kaila Holtz, North Vancouver, BC

Auburn Sigurdson,Surrey, BC

Catchers

Kim Sarrazin,St-Eustache, PQ

Erin Cumpstone,Saskatoon, SK

Infielders

Sheena Lawrick,Calgary, AB

Kristy Odamura,Richmond, BC

Cindy Eadie, Brantford, ON

Angela Lichty, Guelph, ON

Erin White, Richmond, BC

Outfielders

Sasha Olson, Valemount, BC

Alison Bradley,Pinkerton, ON

Rachel Schill, Kitchener, ON

Jackie Lance, Delta, BC

Team Staff

Mike Renney, Head Coach

Glenn Boles, Assistant Coach

Patrick Murphy, Assistant Coach

Noreen Murphy,Assistant Coach

Gil Read, Team Leader

Laurie Freebairn,Physiotherapist

Lisette Johnson Stapley
Directrice du Marketing & Communications Director
Softball Canada
2197 Promenade Riverside Drive
Ottawa, ON  K1H 7X3
Tel. (613) 523-3386 ext. 3105