[Alsfastball] USA Softball rallies in eighth for 3-0 win over Japan; Osterman totals 11 Ks in first Olympic start

Al Doran aldoran at pmihrm.com
Mon Aug 16 15:46:49 EDT 2004

Subject: USA Softball rallies in eighth for 3-0 win over Japan; Osterman
totals 11 Ks in first Olympic start
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 12:59:04 -0500
From: "Brian McCall" <bmccall at softball.org>

For Immediate Release: 8/16/04

U.S. rallies in eighth for 3-0 win over Japan; Osterman totals 11 Ks

Athens, GREECE – First-time Olympian Cat Osterman (Houston, TX) looked as
though she were a veteran in the circle on Monday afternoon as she led the
U.S. to a 3-0 extra inning victory against arch rival Japan.  Scoreless
through regulation seven innings, the pitcher’s duel between Osterman and
Japan veteran Yuri Takayama was a classic before the bats of the U.S.
finally came around in the top of the eighth to improve to 3-0.

“Today was very exciting for our team,” Osterman said. “It was good to be
able to pitch 2/3 of an inning in our opening game versus Italy. It allowed
me to get some of the first game jitters out of the way so I could relax
and pitch my game today.”

A rematch of the 2000 gold medal game, this marked the first time in the
last six outings that the game was decided by more than one run and the
fourth time the game had been decided in extra innings.

Osterman was fearless in the circle during regulation totaling 11
strikeouts and allowing just one hit and one walk.  Japan’s Takayama was
equally impressive using her defense to hold the U.S. hitless through seven
innings.

With chants of ‘USA’ echoing throughout the stadium the tides changed as
the international tie breaker rule was put into effect in the top of the
eighth.  This rule allows the last batter out from the previous inning to
be placed on second base.  Pinch- runner Amanda Freed (Cypress, CA) entered
for the U.S. at second base before a successful sacrifice bunt from Stacey
Nuveman (La Verne, CA) placed Freed at third with one out.

An incredible at-bat that included 17 pitches, Lovieanne Jung (Fountain
Valley, CA) battled Takayama before being issued a walk to put runners on
the corners. Jung’s at-bat was actually extended when Japan third baseman
Reika Utsugi failed to make a routine play on a foul ball due to the bright
sunlight.

Coming through in the clutch, Kelly Kretschman (Indian Harbour Beach, FL),
who was an alternate on the 2000 Olympic team, drove a sacrifice fly to
centerfield to plate Freed and give the U.S. the run it needed. With the
momentum in its favor, the U.S. added two insurance runs for the eventual
3-0 win.

Jessica Mendoza (Camarillo, CA) stepped up with a base hit up the middle
before Jenny Topping (Whittier, CA) was called up as a pinch-hitter. In her
first at-bat in Olympic competition, she responded like a veteran driving
her second pitch to right field for a base hit before a fielding error from
Japanese right fielder Yumi Iwabuchi scored Jung for the 2-0 advantage.

”I have to admit I was a little nervous,” Topping said.  “But I knew my job
was to put the ball in play.  I really thought they would throw me to the
inside but I relaxed and just made contact.”

Lead-off Natasha Watley (Irvine, CA), batting .600 in the Games, beat out
an infield RBI single to score Mendoza to secure the 3-0 U.S. victory.

The U.S. remains as the only unbeaten in Olympic competition has completed
three games without allowing a run. The win extends the U.S. wins streak to
73 games in which it has outscored its opposition 621-17.

Continuing round-robin play, the U.S. will continue its journey towards a
third gold medal on Tuesday at 9:30 a.m. (Athens time) when it takes the
field against 1996 silver medalists China.

NOTES:

YOU HAVE MAIL-The USA Softball Women’s team is receiving over 100 emails a
day from fans all over the world. The team has been posting the emails on
the walls of their apartment in the village as inspiration. Fans looking to
send emails to the team should visit
<http://www.usasoftball.com/>www.usasoftball.com.

INTERNATIONAL TIE-BREAKER-The U.S. has not fared well in extra inning games
during Olympic competition and especially when the international
tie-breaker is used. Coming into today's game with Japan the U.S was 3-4 in
extra inning games and 2-4 when the international tie-breaker was used.

About ASA

The Amateur Softball Association, founded in 1933, is the National
Governing Body of softball in the United States and a member of the United
States Olympic Committee. The ASA has become one of the nation's largest
sports organizations and now sanctions competition in every state through a
network of 91 local associations. The ASA has grown from a few hundred
teams in the early days to over 240,000 teams and 40,000 umpires today,
representing a membership of more than three million. For more information
on the ASA, visit www.asasoftball.com

About USA Softball

USA Softball is the brand created, operated and owned by the ASA that links
the USA Men’s, Women’s, Junior Boys’ and Junior Girls’ National Team
programs together. USA Softball is responsible for training, equipping and
promoting these four National Teams to compete in international and
domestic competitions. The USA Softball Women’s National Team is one of the
only two women’s sports involved in the Olympic movement to capture
back-to-back gold medals at the Olympic Games since 1996. The U.S. women
have also won seven World Championship titles including the last five
consecutive. For more information about USA Softball, please visit
www.usasoftball.com.

Als Fastball List
*Email: <mailto:fastball at pmihrm.com>fastball at pmihrm.com
Website: http://www.alsfastball.com/