[Alsfastball] Canada loses to US but prepares for battle against Australia and Italy

Al Doran aldoran at pmihrm.com
Wed Aug 18 13:56:06 EDT 2004

From: "Lisette Johnson-Stapley" <lstapley at softball.ca>
Subject: Canada loses to US but prepares for battle against Australia and
Italy * use this one
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 13:32:29 -0400

For immediate release
Wednesday August 18

Canada prepares for battle against Australia and Italy

(Ottawa, ON)  Canada's women's softball team lost to the undefeated US
softball team 7-0 in 5 innings of play today at the Olympic
Games.  Canada's record sits at 2-3 and will play two crucial games against
Australia and Italy on thursday and friday, respectively.

"It was an honour to go out and face the best team in the World because of
the challenge," stated Canadian Pitcher Auburn Sigurdson.  "This game made
our team better and prepared us for our last two games."  Sigurdson
said:  "I wasn't really nervous to tell you the truth.  The US is my
favorite team to pitch to because of their toughness."

The US scored off the hop in the bottom of the 1st.  With bases loaded, the
US batter was hit by a pitch to drive in a run.  In the 2nd inning, US
batters made it on base on a hit by pitch, sacrifice to 2nd, single and on
2 outs, a fly ball to centrefield where Canada misjudged the ball and 2
runs were scored.  In the 3rd, US hit a single, a double (a misjudged ball
which was played into a double) and a single making it 4-0.  At the top of
the 4th, Canada had a chance to score.  Kristy Odamura led off with a
single, Rachel Schill bunted to third who made a wild throw.  With Odamura
on third and Schill on first, Alison Bradley hit the ball to 2nd but they
threw home to tag Odamura out at the plate.  After 4 innings, Ani Nyhus
came in to relieve Auburn Sigurdson.  Nyhus gave up a homerun to Crytl
Bustos and Lisa Fernandez to make it 6-0.  In the 5th inning, Bustos
singled went to 2nd on a wild pitch and on a single was driven home to end
the game 7-0 on the mercy rule (7 runs after 5 innings at the Olympic Games).

Canada's Auburn Sigurdson was the losing pitcher who allowed 4 runs (1
earned) on 6 hits, had 1 strikeout and 2 walks.  Ani Nyhus gave up 3 runs
on 5 hits, had 1 strikeout and 1 walk.  USA's Jenny finch was the winning
pitcher giving up 0 runs on 1 hit, striking out 8 Canadian batters and 0
walks.

Canada will face Australia tomorrow (Thursday) at 12:3pm ET (to be
broadcasted on CBC) and Italy Friday at 2:30am ET (to be broadcasted on
TSN).  Canada is now 2-3.

Team Canada's profiles and stats as well as previous Olympic results and
photos can be viewed on the Softball Canada website at
<http://www.softball.ca>www.softball.ca.  For more information, please
contact Lisette Johnson-Stapley, Marketing & Communications Director,
Softball Canada at 613-795-1996 (Cel.) or
<mailto:lstapley at softball.ca>lstapley at softball.ca or 613-523-3386 ext. 3105.

Rankings – Day 5

Teams

Yet to play

USA

5

0

Gre, Tpe

  AUS

4

1

Gre, Can

CAN

2

3

Aus, Ita

CHN

2

3

Jpn, Tpe

TPE

2

3

USA, Chn

GRE

2

2

USA, Aus, Jpn

JPN

1

3

Gre, Chn, Ita

ITA

1

4

Can, Jpn,

Lisette Johnson Stapley
Directrice du Marketing & Communications Director
Softball Canada
2197 Promenade Riverside Drive
Ottawa, ON  K1H 7X3
Tel. (613) 523-3386 ext. 3105