[Alsfastball] Armour-Rise at ISC II TOC

Al Doran aldoran at pmihrm.com
Mon Aug 23 08:03:03 EDT 2004

From: "Tom" <t.vogel at verizon.net>
To: "Al Doran" <fastball at pmihrm.com>
Subject: Armour-Rise at ISC II TOC
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 01:17:05 -0400

Fargo, ND

August 22, 2004    The Armour-Rise team traveled to Fargo, ND to compete in
the ISC II Tournament of Champions, finishing with a 4-2 record, good
enough to place in the top 16. 35 teams from the USA and Canada converged
at the Anderson Complex, their sights set for playing in the Championship
game at nearby Jack Williams Stadium, a baseball stadium converted for
fastpitch softball for the ISC World Tournament. There were 7 pools of 5
teams each, and the 'Rise' came away with a 3-1 record, earning a #2 seed
in the pool, advancing to the single elimination play-off round. The Rise
team came away with a 1st round play-off win against Happy Hollow of Eau
Claire, WI 4-0, and advanced to Thursday's game against Fargo's Chub's Pub
Wizards. Chub's eliminated the Rise with a  13-6 drubbing, as the
Pennsylvania squad couldn't hold off the strong offense of the home team.

     ISC II Vice President Bob McGowan and his competent staff ran a smooth
tournament and no major problems seemed to arise throughout the week. With
most teams playing only one game a day, there was plenty of time for
watching games and site-seeing. Our player passes got us in to see a number
of games at nearby Jack Williams Stadium and Mickleson Park to watch the
elite play in the ISC World Tournament. The lone PA entrant for the World
Tournament, the Quaker Riversharks, did very well in their 1st ISC, earning
a #2 seed in their pool to advance to the elimination round. As the Rise,
the 'Sharks' finished the tourney with a 4-2 record, being eliminated by #4
seed Circle Tap from WI. The other PA entry into the ISC II TOC was
Keatings Fitness Center, also advancing to the single elimination,
finishing with a 3-3 record. Here's my overview of the ISC II Championships.

Tournament Format     There were 35 teams in this years' Tournament of
Champions, compared to 40 teams in 2003. 7 pools of 5 teams each played
each other over the 4 days of pool play to determine who would continue.
The top three teams from each pool advanced to the elimination round, along
with 3 wild card teams, for a total of 24 play-off teams. Pool #1 seeds
earned a 1st round bye, as did the highest 2nd place team. This format
seems to work well, just as it had in Appleton last year.   Score:  A-

Anderson Park Complex    The archetypical 4-plex was accommodating, as a 2
minute stroll around the center building allowed you to take in game action
on all 4 fields. Adjacent to the fields was another 4 fields that teams
could use for practice on a first come basis. Very convenient! The ground
crew took care of the fields after every game and were quick to keep the
game schedule on time. Scores were posted on the master board as soon as
games were completed and there was always a crowd viewing the
results.    Score:  A

Game Coverage    All four fields had their own game announcer, a nice touch
for a well-run tourney. There were a number of games broadcast live over
the internet, courtesy of Sportsjuice.com. Jim Flanagan, editor of the
popular FastpitchWest.com, along with ISC II commissioner Blair Setford,
did the play-by-play and although I wasn't able to listen to any, these
games are to be archived at Sportsjuice for the next few weeks so that the
listening public may replay them. More on this later.    Score:  A+

Umpiring    The 'blue crew' were professional in their appearance and game
control, and few problems seemed to arise during games played. You always
seem to encounter some questionable calls, as the Rise did, but this is
part of the game. Someday we will all be highly paid professionals and
never make a mistake. (sic)    Score:  B+

ISC Pitching Clinic    I attended the ISC pitching clinic on Tuesday
afternoon at Mickleson Park, run by ISC pitching instructor Doug Gillis. As
there were only 8-10 pitchers taking the clinic, Doug was able to work with
each one, assessing strengths and flaws that he was able to pick out.
Videos were taken of each pitcher, and analyzed after all were done. Back
on the field afterwards to work on what we learned and yes, I can make a
ball rise!! Lots more work for me in the winter. For all that are
considering taking-up the art of pitching (or if you're a seasoned
veteran), Gillis is the man to see. Excellent!!    Score:  A+

Weather    Absolutely, positively, ........windy and cold!!!!! (for
August). I have played in Fargo a few times prior to this tournament, and I
just don't remember the conditions to be as they were. A couple of
raindrops here and there during the week was the only inclement weather
encountered, as the 40MPH winds seemed to take care of drying out
everything in sight. Truthfully, aside from two days of Chicago-like wind,
the weather was enjoyable.    Score:  B

Souvenirs    There was plenty of items to be had, all at your normal
Championship tournament prices. The quality of goods sold was high, and
there was something for everybody. The selection of souvenirs over at the
World Tournament at Jack Williams Stadium was better, and special prices
were to be had if you waited until near the end. There were a ton of items
left when I exited Fargo on Saturday morning, so there may be goods
available through the ISC website.    Score:  A

Concessions    After being spoiled with all that Kimberly and Appleton had
to offer in the way of edibles, I (as many) were disappointed in the menu
and quality of the concessions. The people running the stands were very
friendly and helpful, and they served you what they had with a smile. At
Anderson and Mickleson Parks, you could drink in a designated area only,
were as in the friendly confines of Jack Williams, you could watch games
and consume (moderately, as Fargo's finest were roaming around). Has the
price of beer in a plastic bottle reached Major League stadium proportions?
$3.00 a beer seems to be a bit high. (Yes, I bought one...just
one.)    Score:  C-

Photography    Coverage of all games at the ISC II TOC and the World
Tournament was provided by Best of Times Sports & Event Photography of
Fargo. The quality of the stills was exceptional and you had a plethora of
pictures to view. There were multiple touch screen viewing monitors at each
park location, and game pictures were loaded as soon as they were done.
Navigating the screens to find what you wanted was a snap, as even our own
computer genius' found their pics.    Score:  A+

Championship Game and Awards Ceremonies    As in 2003, the Harriston, ON
Mercury's repeated their performance in claiming the 2004 Tournament of
Champions title, with a thrilling (albeit sloppy) victory over the
Tavistock Merchants in a all-Canadian final. Game scores and all the
tournament coverage can be found on the ISC website. Following the
Championship game, the tournament committee assembled the awards
presentation, and along with team trophies to the top 3 finishers,
individual awards were given to the Champs and runners-up. The Rise was
represented on the ISC II TOC All Tournament Team, as outfielder Andy Sabo
was selected. Congrats Andy, well deserved!!.    Score:  A

     All in all, this was a well run Championship and something the Rise
team wants to qualify for in 2005. I am sure that the directors in Eau
Claire, WI will run a class tournament, for that is what the ISC and their
following expect.

Yours in FastballTom Vogel Gm Armour - Rise Fastpitch Team
<http://www.risefastpitch.com>www.risefastpitch.com
mailto:t.vogel at verizon.net

  Als Fastball List
*Email: fastball at pmihrm.com