[Alsfastball] Bantam EC's - Scarborough beats Napanee for chship; E.Hants takes bronze over CBSS

Al Doran aldoran at pmihrm.com
Mon Aug 30 14:27:09 EDT 2004

From: "Patrick Healey" <pat_healey at pei.sympatico.ca>
To: "Al Doran" <aldoran at pmihrm.com>, "Al Doran" <fastball at pmihrm.com>
Subject:  Bantam EC's - Scarborough beats Napanee for chship; E.Hants takes
bronze over CBSS
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 09:11:27 -0300

bronze over CBSS

Here is the wrapup of the bantam eastern canadians. coming shortly will be
photos for you to use if you wish. They will be of the awards presentation
and presenters as well as maybe a team pic and a SCARBOROUGH FANS celebrate
win pic. Thanks

Pat Healey

Ramoutar pitches Saberwolves to Bantam championship

By Pat Healey

ALBERTON - Many of the Scarborough Saberwolves are going to savour their
2004 Tignish Credit Union Bantam Boys Eastern Canadian championship - but
none more then Matt Martinello.

Martinello drove in Wesley Dyck, who reached base on a two-out triple, with
the game's only run in the third inning as the Saberwolves topped their
Ontario rivals Napanee Express 1-0 Sunday afternoon at Memorial Park in
Alberton.

The third basemen is playing with the Wolves after a year of seeing
teammates from Stouffville win it all last year and not being able to play
with Stouffville at the Easterns. Martinello was born in Scarborough and
returned there this year and played a vital role in helping the Wolves to
their title.

This is the first title for many of the player's who all live in one area
of Scarborough on two streets that cris-cross.

Playoff Most Valuable Player and round robin top pitcher Chris Ramoutar
earned his awards by showcasing his great stuff, striking out 10. He got
the Wolves out of a jam in the fifth inning as Napanee had runners on
second and third and no out, but Ramoutar struck out three straight batters
to end the Express' only threat in the game.

Ramoutar helped his cause at the plate going 2-for-3 while Ryan McCluskey
(2-3) was the other top bat for Scarborough.

"It was an interesting, close game," he said following the win. "I was
trying to take it one batter at a time. They got a couple hits on and I was
trying to stay focussed but it was hard."

He added he was happy to see the bats come around, despite the fact they
scored just one run and missed a golden opportunity in the fourth inning
with the bases juiced, before Brooks struckout three straight to keep it 1-0.

"Our team came together pretty well," he said. "I knew we were going to
face two tough pitchers (Brooks and Luc Lahey) in the final.

"It felt good to win, but it felt better to beat Napanee. It was a classic
game, it was clean there was no trash talking, I didn't expect that at all."

When the Express and Wolves met in the provincials, it resulted in a bench
clearing brawl which saw a punch thrown by a Napanee coach on a Saberwolve
player.

Ramoutar and losing pitcher Nick Brooks gave up just 10 hits, with Ramoutar
allowing just three hits.

"They (the awards) are equally honorable for me," he added. "I like them
both but I like the top pitcher because that's for the tournament.

"It's nice to know that I was recognized as one of the better ones (playoff
MVP) that stepped up in the playoff round."

Luc Lahey pitched an inning in relief for the Express, striking out two.

EAST HANTS CLAIMS BRONZE

Adam Day hit a two-run triple in the second as the East Hants High Tide
coasted to the bronze medal with a 4-0 defeat of the Conception Bay South
Storm.

The High Tide lost their semifinal game against the Scarborough Saberwolves
3-0 as a result of a two-run triple by Jamie Wellman.

They looked to head back to Nova Scotia with at least the bronze medal and
amde sure that the CBS Storm wouldn't be claiming it early and often.
Conception Bay lost 12-0 to Napanee Express in the other semifinal, setting
up the bronze medal match.

Day hit a two-out triple to plate Matt Dillman (1-3) and Tim Colbert (0-1,
walk, run scored) in the second and Colbert shut down the Storm offense to
pick up the win. Trent MacKiel (2-3, run scored, two RBI) plated Josh
Connor (0-1, two runs scored) in the first to open the scoring.

For the Storm, Sean Quinlan (2-3) picked up the only two hits Colbert allowed.

Colbert struck out 10 while losing pitcher Andrew Murphy allowed four runs
on five hits, walking one and fanning five.

WOLVES HAUL IN TOURNEY AWARDS

The Saberwolves not only go back home with the skills competition title and
the Eastern Canadian title, they also take with them three of the four
tournament awards.

Jamie Wellman took home the Top Batter award hitting 6-for-7 with an .867
average and six RBI.

Ramoutar took top pitching honours with a 2-0 record and 0.00 Earned run
average (ERA) in 10 innings pitched. He allowed just six hits and two runs
were scored agaiunst him, but as a result of errors and were unearned.

The son of coach Shuckie and team manager Pamela Ramoutar also won the
Playoff MVP award by leading his team to the championship.

Johnny O'Reilly of the Placentia Lions took honours as the round robin MVP,
hitting .667 as he went 6-for-9 in the three games his team played during
round robin. He had a home run and two rbi, while scoring four times.

Next year's tournament is set for Moncton, N.B.

  Als Fastball List
*Email: fastball at pmihrm.com