[Alsfastball] Pitching Rule - by Todd Martin

Al Doran aldoran at pmihrm.com
Thu Sep 16 16:18:13 EDT 2004

From: "Todd Martin" <tmartin at aci.on.ca>
To: "Al Doran" <aldoran at pmihrm.com>
Subject: pitching rule
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 16:14:16 -0400

What boggles my mind the most about the pitching rule is how little effort
was actually put into it before a decision was made.  During the Out Of
Area Forum (OOA), it was mentioned that the OOA rule has been discussed at
lengths for a half dozen years.  Numerous proposals have been put forth
over the years and many brainstorming sessions took place to see if it was
a viable solution.  After a few votes were swung during the OOA forum in
Fargo, the OOA rule basically went away.  So instead of knuckling down to
look at another solution the ISC PLAYER REPS!!!, not the commissioners, put
forth pretty much the stupidest rule that I have ever heard of.  From a
distance, it looks like nothing more than a knee-jerk reaction to the OOA
being shelved.  As far as the player reps go, not once did they ever go
outside their inner circle to ask opinions from anyone.  From what I heard,
not even all the player reps were kept up to speed on what was
happening.  How much research was done?   What percentage of the pitchers
are from Canada or from abroad?  Better yet, how many teams come from an
area and what is the ratio of "list pitchers" to teams in that area?  How
arbitrary can one rule be?  Who is to say that Timmy Mac is better or worse
that Scotty Evans...two guys that haven't thrown a whole lot in the last
few years but through the hell out of the ball this year.  Not to even
mention that some of the games great hitters are pitchers.  The two
aforementioned would make a great add to any team if neither were to make
"the list."  I know some of the player reps, and I can guarantee you they
can't answer these questions because they don't know.  If it is proven that
there is a problem, sit down and figure out a solution...don't throw your
hands in the air and say "there you go, deal with it"  I for one see this
rule as ridiculous...anyone else?

regards,

Todd Martin
mailto:tmartin at aci.on.ca