[Alsfastball] Stars of the ISC – September, 2004 – Sebastian Gervasutti

Al Doran aldoran at pmihrm.com
Mon Sep 27 12:17:30 EDT 2004

From: "GWise" <sgwise at woh.rr.com>
To: "Al Doran" <fastball at pmihrm.com>
Subject: Fw: September, 2004, STARS OF THE ISC
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 09:20:48 -0400

Stars of the ISC – September, 2004 – Sebastian Gervasutti

(A Tribute to the Past, Present, and Emerging Stars of the I.S.C)
SEBASTIAN GERVASUTTI - - - A Star in the Making

What do you get when you blend an engaging bright smile, dynamite good
looks, a strong right arm, an outgoing yet respectful personality, and an
intense drive to succeed?

A “World-Class” pitcher in the making?

Or a world-class accountant?

How about BOTH!!!!!

That’s a pretty good “take” on SEBASTIAN GERVASUTTI, a 20 year old
Argentinian who has raised some important eyebrows with his pitching talent
during the 2004 season.

Hurling for The Bull/Townline team of DePere, Wisconsin, young mister
Gervasutti has made the most of his first season playing the sport in the
U.S. - - a sport which obsesses him to the point that he disavows any other
form of hobbies in his life.

He even denies having a girlfriend either in the U.S. or in his hometown of
Parana, Argentina.  That situation could change in a heartbeat given his
movie star good looks, and a smile that should attract toothpaste endorsements.

How does a nine-year-old kid in Parana manage to get involved with the
sport of fastball in a country where soccer rules and where relatively few
play fastball because of the lack of equipment and the high price of
obtaining it (“I have to work about two months to get enough to afford a
glove!”)

Simple - - - just have as your close young buddies a pair of brothers whose
family happen to be involved with fastball.

By age 11, Sebastian was starting to learn the art of pitching and it
wasn’t long until the club team from his community became like another
family for him.  “Club teams” - - - no sponsors - - are the way the sport
tends to exist in Argentina.

And it is to a club team (CPFE#5) that Sebastian returns as he heads back
to Argentina after his 2004 ISC World Tournament has ended.

But back home in Argentina more than just fastball awaits young
Gervasutti.  He will be heading into his third year at the University of
Entre Rios, a state university “between the rivers” where he is studying
Accounting with a goal of becoming a C.P.A.

A couple of great goals motivate this young man:  winning the I.S.C. and
becoming a C.P.A.

He has taken some major steps in his quest for ISC laurels.  He played for
Argentina’s Junior National team in Australia in 2001, played for his
country’s Senior National team in Pan-Am competition in Guatemala in 2002,
and hurled his team to the championship of the ISC’s 23 and under tourney
in 2004.

So how did this talented right-hander, who claims his best pitch to his
curveball, get to DePere, Wisconsin, for the 2004 season?

Credit fellow countryman Julio Gamarci for that one.  The 30-year-old
Gamarci, something of an idol and super mentor to the younger Argentinian
players, has played with U.S. teams for nearly a decade.  It was Gamarci
(who also facilitated my interview with Sebastian by translating Spanish to
English and vice versa) who set up the contacts when the DePere team was
looking for pitching help.  Gamarci has been a key link in bringing younger
players from Argentina to the U.S. - - - there were nine from that country,
five of them pitchers, in this year’s ISC World Tournament in Fargo.

The addition of strong young arms from Argentina was a great move according
to Alex Marino, one of the sponsors of The Bull/Townline team.  Marino
described his team’s “imports” as “very respectful; just great people; very
humble; who will do anything asked of them”.  High praise indeed from one
who helps pay the bills!

When this interview was conducted, Sebastian had just come from facing the
defending ISC World Champs in a game which he had lost and been hit fairly
hard.  And what did he learn from the experience of facing one of the
toughest batting orders in the world?

“I learned that I must keep on improving and work harder.”

Gervasutti counts County Materials and The Farm, along with Broken Bow, as
the toughest teams he has faced.

Asked to name the pitcher he most respects and would want to be like, he
pauses, flashes the dynamite smile, and says “Dino” (Dean Holoein of the
Farm Tavern team).

While referring to his experience pitching in the ISC World Tournament as
“a dream come true”, he also mentions among his best experiences making the
Argentina Senior National team.

And the future - - - home to his accounting studies, his club team, his
favorite foods (pasta and other Italian dishes), and just possibly to
contemplate some very tempting offers to throw for U.S. or Canadian teams
in 2005.

A neat assortment of achievements behind him at age 20, a bright future
ahead of him, possessor of the “tools of success” that’s SEBASTIAN
GERVASUTTI, our September, 2004 “STAR OF THE I.S.C.”

(Note:  Sebastian can be reached at
<mailto:sebastiangervasutti at hotmail.com>sebastiangervasutti at hotmail.com )

By:  Gordon Wise - - - - ISC Information Officer
<mailto:sgwise at woh.rr.com>sgwise at woh.rr.com
http://www.iscfastpitch.com/

  Als Fastball List
*Email: fastball at pmihrm.com