[Alsfastball] Ken McLaughlin of Bracebridge, 1949-2004

Al Doran aldoran at pmihrm.com
Wed Nov 3 07:35:13 EST 2004

From: "Veitchy" <veitchy31 at sympatico.ca>
To: "Al Doran" <fastball at pmihrm.com>
Subject: Ken McLaughlin of Bracebridge, 1949-2004
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2004 00:41:10 -0800

Bracebridge,
Ontario,
Canada

The community of Bracebridge is in mourning today upon hearing the sad news
of the passing of Ken McLaughlin who lost a courageous battle with cancer.

Ken was a staple in this small town's sports scene with softball and hockey
throughout his entire life.  Ken was a member of several All-Ontario hockey
championships as assistant coach and a couple of Eastern Canadian
Intermediate Softball Championships as well.
Ken played a huge part with Bracebridge Minor Ball both in coaching and in
the building category at Jubilee Park.Ken was also the head convener for
the very first OASA All-Ontario Championships to be held in Bracebridge in
1982 which saw the home town team win the championship.

Ken's work and dedication was also matched at the arena as well where he
served as a coach, assistant coach and friend to a lot of kids over the
years including myself. My first memory of Ken was in 1979 when he was our
assistant coach on our Bracebridge Atom hockey team. I was one of the
team's goaltenders and was a little puck shy. Ken quickly fixed that by
ripping a few shots of my helmet. Veitchy wasn't too puck shy after that
and we went on to win the All-Ontario Championships that year. Ken and wife
Marion lived beside the Bracebridge Memorial Arena for a great number of
years and I seem to remember a few "post game" festivities taking place there.
Ken leaves behind wife Marion, daughter Tracey, son-in-law Will,
granddaughter Katie; son David, daughter-in-law Liz who is expecting Ken
and Marions second grandchild. Ken is also leaving behind a great number of
friends and memories at the arena, ball park and wherever else he blessed
us with his presence.

Ken was a big part of the community and an even bigger part of our hearts.

We will miss you Ken.........

Dave Veitch

From: "Veitchy" <veitchy31 at sympatico.ca>

  Als Fastball List