[Alsfastball] Wellington take out men's NPC title

Al Doran aldoran at pmihrm.com
Wed Dec 29 22:12:39 EST 2004

Subject:  Wellington take out men's NPC title

Wellington take out men’s NPC title
Thursday December 30th

Wellington are the New Zealand Community Trust men’s National
ProvincialCup champions for the 2004/05 season.

The team from the capital took out the title without even playing
a gametoday as bad weather saw all play abandoned. Heavy rain
overnight leftone diamond at Rotorua International Stadium underwater
and continued badweather has left no hope of any further play.

With no play today the tournament winner was found from standings
at theend of round robin play and as Wellington qualified first
for theplayoffs with an unbeaten record they take out the title.

It is a case of third time lucky for Wellington as they have
been beatenfinalists for the past two seasons and winning coach
Paul Stockfordadmits it was good to get the monkey off the back.

“We were happy to win the round robin and while it would have
been niceto win a final I am happy we played eight games and
didn’t lose one. I amconfident that this Wellington team is the
best team here and I am underno doubt that if we had played the
final we would not have been beaten,”said Stockford.

In claiming the title Stockford singled out Wellington infielder
ChrisEden-Huria for special praise along with catcher Aaron Neemia.
Eden-Huriawas named tournament top batter while Stockford says
Neemia had a strongtournament behind the plate and got his pitchers
through a lot of thegames.

“It was a complete team effort we had a lot of depth in all positions
andwe were a great hitting team. There was a major contribution
somewherealong the way from all the players in the team.”

Tournament team:

Pitchers ­ Regan Manly (Hawkes Bay), Shane Doherty (Hutt Valley).
Catchers ­ Aaron Neemia (Wellington), Shuhei Suzuki (Hutt Valley).
Infield ­ Chris Eden-Huria (Wellington), Michael Cameron (Auckland),
MarePomana (Counties Manukau), David Butler (Hawkes Bay), Steve
McFarlane(Wellington),
Outfield ­ Yusuke Sasaki (Hutt Valley), Jamie Matiu (Counties
Manukau),Scott Cartwright (Otago), Justin Karaitana (Hutt Valley).
Utilities ­ David Bishop (Wellington), Casey Eden (North harbour).
Coach ­ Paul Stockford (Wellington)
Manager ­ John Hardie (Hutt Valley)

Tournament Top Batter ­ Chris Eden-Huria (Wellington) ave .643.

Tournament Top Pitcher ­ Regan Manly (Hawkes Bay) era 0.97.
Tournament MVP - Mare Pomana (Counties Manukau).

Final standings ­ 1 Wellington, 2 Hutt Valley, 3 Counties Manukau,
4Hawkes Bay, 5 Auckland, 6 Otago, 7 Rotorua, 8 Western Bay of
Plenty, 9North Harbour.

By SNZ Media Liaison: Kelly Mitchell
* mailto:kelly.mitchell at xtra.co.nz

http://www.softball.org.nz/