[Alsfastball] more PRAWN... Todd Martin

Al Doran aldoran at pmihrm.com
Thu Sep 22 19:23:25 EDT 2005

From: "Todd Martin" <t__martin19 at sympatico.ca>
Subject: more PRAWN...
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 19:19:22 -0400

Hi Fellas, lots of responses to the last note, thought I would do it again.

TM

The PRAWN Rule does not spread the talent around it is an award given
arbitrarily that can be won or lost on 1 game, 1 at bat, 1 play.  I still
have no idea how someone or some committee can want to use this as the only
criteria to dictate where are a player can or can't play.  It's ridiculous.

Winning All World is primarily about stats, the people that choose the All
World players certainly do not sit through games until the wee hours making
notes on how players played in a 17-0 round robin game and I don't blame
them.  The problem with that is the stats don't always (and more often than
not, don't) tell the story of how well somebody has played.  The other side
of the coin, which I eluded in my last email, is there are two distinct
types of brackets used in the World Tournament.  Super bracket and beer
bracket!  Am I the only person that sees this?

If there is a burning desire to make change and restrict how much talent
one team can have at least use criteria that makes sense.  Base your list
on National Team players or sit a group of people in a room and rank the
players.  That is still arbitrary but I guarantee that you will come up
with a list a lot closer to the "cream of the crop" that way than punishing
some guy that went 10 for 12 in the beer bracket and went home before the
2nd round starts in the playoffs.

Like I said last year in the annual meeting before the tourney started...if
you want an option to restrict player movement, draw up zones.  Categorize
players in areas, not just states and provinces.  Find out how many actual
players are in each area, even it out that way.  There has to be something
that makes more sense than PRAWN.  There are about 70 of you according to
the ISC booklet, put your heads together and come up with something that
works.

  From: "Todd Martin" <t__martin19 at sympatico.ca>

  Als Fastball List
*Email: fastball at pmihrm.com