Mark Smith named Head Coach of Softball Canada's Senior Men's National Team

Al Doran aldoran at pmihrm.com
Tue Oct 11 19:02:17 EDT 2005

Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 18:55:13 -0400
From: "Mat Gentès" <mgentes at softball.ca>
Subject: Mark Smith named Head Coach of Softball
Canada's Senior Men's National Team

Mark Smith named Head Coach of Softball Canada's Senior Men's National Team
October 11th, 2005

(Ottawa) Mark Smith has been named Head Coach for
Softball Canada's Senior Men's
National Team.  Mark Smith has been involved with
Softball Canada as a national team
athlete, as a pool coach, as Head Coach of the
Junior Men's Program and as Head Coach of
the Senior Men's Program.  Mark was inducted into
the Softball Canada Hall of Fame in
the Athlete category in 1999.  Mark is also in
the Softball Canada Hall of Fame in the
Teams category as a member of the 1983 Pan Am
Gold Medal Team which was inducted in 1997.

“I am pleased to have the opportunity to continue
with the men’s national team program.
Over the next four years we will work very hard
with junior and senior athletes to
further improve the program and accomplish our
goal of winning world championships”.
Mark Smith, Senior Men's National Team Head Coach

Mark attended Acadia University in Halifax, Nova
Scotia earning a degree in Business.
He was inducted into the Nova Scotia Sport Hall
of Fame in 2002 and the ISC Hall of Fame
in 2004.  Mark's father (Robert Smith) was also
inducted into Softball Canada's Hall of
Fame in 2002 in the Officials category.

As an athlete Mark was a member of 3 Pan American
Gold Medal teams (1979, 1983, and
1991), a member of the 1992 Senior Men's Team
that won the World Championship, and in
1996 he was on the team that took home the silver
medal from the Worlds.  His coaching
accolades include a gold medal at the 1999 Pan Am
Games (Assistant Coach), a gold medal
at the 2003 Pan Am Games (Head Coach), as well as
a silver medal at the 2004 World
Championship.

Mark Smith is also involved as a member of
Softball Canada's Coaching Committee.

For more information, or interview requests please contact:
Ron Gallinger
National Teams Director
Softball Canada
(613) 523-3386 ext. 3101