Canada Downed by USA; Comes Home with Silver

Al Doran aldoran at pmihrm.com
Sun Dec 4 12:49:39 EST 2005

From: "Mat Gentès" <mgentes(at)softball.ca>
Subject: Canada Downed by USA; Comes Home with Silver

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Canada Downed by USA; Comes Home with Silver
December 3rd, 2005

(Ottawa) Softball Canada’s Women’s National team was defeated 2-0 in the
championship
game by the United States and was awarded the silver medal at the VI Pan
American
Softball Championship in Guatemala City, Guatemala.

Head Coach Lori Sippel commented on the event. “We had two goals coming
into this
tournament.  First was to qualify for the World Championships and second
was to do so by
winning this tournament.  We did indeed qualify for the Wolrds but we fell
short of the
championship.  The players’ response to losing the final was one that I
will take with
me into the New Year.  They knew they had a good tournament yet I could see
that they
were already making plans to be better next time they found themselves in a
championship
game."

In what was a great pitchers dual, Lauren Bay (Trail, BC) held the powerful
American
lineup to only two runs on four hits.  USA starter Jamie Southern held
Canada to one hit
and no runs.  Bay struck out ten batters while Southern struck out five.

The only runs of the game were scored in the bottom of the 3rd
inning.  With runners on
the corners, Natasha Watley advanced to second base on a pass
ball.  Jessica Mendoza
then grounded out to second base, however Jenny Topping was able to score
and Watley
moved to third base.  Watley would score the final run of the game on a
wild pitch.

Stats:
1B; Odamura
SB's; Odamura,
Error; 0

Pitching:
Bay (LP)
IP; 6
H; 4
K's; 10
BB's;3, HP;1
R; 2
ERA; 2

For more information:
Ron Gallinger
Softball Canada
(613) 523-3386 ext. 3101
rgallinger(at)softball.ca

    fastball at pmihrm.com
    eScribe is down, but may be back soon escribe.com

Our New Condo: http://www.rpt.ca/hunt/ for Sale or Rent