Black Sox mixing it up but still keep on winning

Al Doran aldoran at pmihrm.com
Fri Jan 27 08:57:24 EST 2006

Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2006 20:50:34 +1300
From: Vance <vance(at)vanf-graphics.co.nz>
Subject: Black Sox mixing it up but still keep on winning

Black Sox mixing it up but still keep on winning
Friday January 27th 2006

The New Zealand Community Trust Black Sox have maintained their unbeaten
run in their first game on day three of the Commonwealth Championship in
Melbourne this afternoon with a 7-1 victory over South Africa.

The starting line up that took to the diamond against South Africa today
was without some of the familiar and experienced faces that normally lead
the NZCT Black Sox team. Sitting on the bench were veterans such as Thomas
Makea, Patrick Shannon and Brad Rona.

NZCT Black Sox coach Eddie Kohlhase agrees that while in some positions the
team had a new look to it today it is all about giving everybody in the
squad game time and building playing depth to create more competition for
places.

"We are holding firm to our desire to increase the depth and expose more
players to international softball. We have fielded four different teams in
our first four games and we will continue doing that during round robin
play before looking to the top nine players for the finals," said Kohlhase.

In what has been a feature of the NZCT Black Sox game in recent seasons the
Kiwi side scored early against South Africa when in the bottom of the first
inning Nathan Nukunuku came home on a sacrifice fly by Rhys Casley after
originally getting on base with a walk.

Another feature of the NZCT Black Sox game is power hitting and that came
to the fore in the third inning when catcher Bevan Martin fired the ball
out of the ballpark for a home run over the left field fence. Following
that Stacy McLean picked up a walk and Nathan Nukunuku singled with both
then scoring on a hit to NZCT Black Sox captain Jarrad Martin.

South Africa pegged one run back and showed their own batting fire power in
the fourth inning when Gareth Scott powered the ball over the right field
fence for South Africa's first run of the game.

The NZCT Black Sox went further ahead with two runs in the fourth as Todd
Grego and Roman Gabriel both crossed home plate and added another in the
fifth innings with Stephen Ratu getting on the score sheet.

Controlling the game on the mound for the NZCT Black Sox was veteran
pitcher Marty Grant who gave up few chances to the South African hitters.
Grant faced 25 batters giving up three hits and one walk while taking nine
strike outs.

While the NZCT Black Sox recorded their fourth win today and are the only
unbeaten team in the championship coach Kohlhase says the team have not had
everything their own way.

Against both Australia and Samoa yesterday the NZCT Black Sox had to come
from behind to win and fight hard.

  "We came from behind against Australia twice and we let both teams
Australia and Samoa back into the game so that is something we have to
understand and work on as a team," said Kohlhase.

On the back of their victory over South Africa the NZCT Black Sox will be
back on the diamond later tonight at 9.30pm (NZ time) when they take on
tournament hosts Australia.

**NEWSFLASH** Commonwealth Men's Fastpitch Championship

Due to rain delay, play was postponed. The diamond is recovering well and
play will most likely recommence at 7.30pm (AEDT).
Australia and Tanifa Samoa will restart play at 7.30pm (AEDT) with
Australia in the box at the bottom of the second. The scores are 0-0.
The next game will then be Australia vs the New Zealand Black Sox.
The Samoa vs South Africa game has been re-scheduled for 8.30 tomorrow morning.

By SNZ Media Liaison: Kelly Mitchell
*  mailto:kelly.mitchell(at)xtra.co.nz

http://www.softball.org.nz/
* mailto:snz(at)softball.org.nz

Cheers Vance
Softball New Zealand web master.
*   mailto:vance(at)vanf-graphics.co.nz

    fastball at pmihrm.com
    eScribe is down, but may be back soon escribe.com