Black Sox one win away from Commonwealth Championship victory

Al Doran aldoran at pmihrm.com
Sat Jan 28 10:48:36 EST 2006

Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2006 23:25:00 +1300
From: Vance <vance(at)vanf-graphics.co.nz>
Subject: Black Sox one win away from Commonwealth Championship victory

Black Sox one win away from Commonwealth Championship victory
Saturday January 28th 2006

The New Zealand Community Trust Black Sox are through to the final of the
Commonwealth Championship in Melbourne to be played tomorrow.

The world champion NZCT Black Sox secured their place in the final with a
victory in the semi final tonight over Samoa 6-1. While the score line
looks convincing NZCT Black Sox manager Grant McCarroll says the team were
made to work hard for the win.

"It is a good result but it was another close game, we were behind early
and once again it was our batting that came to the fore and got us
through," said McCarroll.

Samoa were the first to score in the game when in the top of the first
inning Kurt Allen scampered home on a pass ball after originally getting on
base via a fielding error.

With rain plaguing the championship today conditions for tonight's game
were difficult with the astro-turf diamond very wet and that was reflected
in the fielding errors made by both teams.

The NZCT Black Sox scored their first two run of the game in the bottom of
the first inning both courtesy of fielding errors. Firstly lead off hitter
Thomas Makea doubled and then scored on an error while Nathan Nukunuku got
on base via the same error and then scored on another error.

A stand out performer for the NZCT Black Sox in the field tonight was
rookie Hutt Valley pitcher Jeremy Manley. The 23-year-old is making his
NZCT Black Sox debut at the championship and has been in commanding form
during his time on the mound.

Tonight against Samoa Manley controlled the game well after a slow start
and gave the opposition hitters few chances. Manley faced 20 batters giving
up one hit and three walks while taking seven strikeouts.

Manley was replaced on the mound in the sixth inning by Marty Grant who
closed the game out facing seven batters giving up two hits and taking two
strikeouts.

The NZCT Black Sox consistently scored runs throughout the game. First
baseman Rhys Casley scored for the Kiwis in the second inning coming home
on a sacrifice fly by Gus Leger after originally getting on base due to a
fielding error.

NZCT Black Sox vice captain Nathan Nukunuku kept the score board rolling
along in the third inning when as lead of hitter he tripled to right centre
field and then came home on a hit by Patrick Shannon.

The final runs of the game for the NZCT Black Sox came in the fifth inning
courtesy of a big hit from Travis Wilson as he smashed his third home run
of the championship, this time with Nathan Nukunuku on base for another two
runs.

On the mound for Samoa was Heinie Shannon he faced 27 batters giving up six
hits and two walks while taking seven strikeouts.

Despite losing tonight Samoa are not out of the title race, by finishing in
the top two after round robin play Samoa won the right to two lives in the
play off section of the championship. To win a place in the final Samoa
will play off tomorrow against the winner of the game between Australia and
South Africa.

Looking ahead to the final tomorrow at 5.30pm (NZ time) NZCT Black Sox
manger Grant McCarroll says the team will be looking to continue with the
form that has seen them go through the championship to this stage unbeaten.

"We will be looking for a continuation of what we have been doing. It was a
goal that we set ourselves at the start of the season to win this and it is
important to continue the way we have been going and defend well," said
McCarroll.

By SNZ Media Liaison: Kelly Mitchell
*  mailto:kelly.mitchell(at)xtra.co.nz

http://www.softball.org.nz/
* mailto:snz(at)softball.org.nz

Cheers Vance
Softball New Zealand web master.
*   mailto:vance(at)vanf-graphics.co.nz

    fastball at pmihrm.com
    eScribe is down, but may be back soon escribe.com