Maisey Bows Out

fastball fastball at pmihrm.com
Tue Mar 7 22:04:02 EST 2006

Subject: Paul Maisey
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2006 13:40:53 +1100

From: "DiAnne Lilburn" <dianne.lilburn(at)softball.org.au>
To: <fastball(at)pmihrm.com>

Hi,

Australian Open Men's player, Paul Maisey, announced his retirement
at the recent Commonwealth Men's Championship and I was hoping
that you would be able to post this article on your website.

If you have any questions or would like some images, please do
not hesitate to contact me.

Regards,
DiAnne

Maisey Bows Out

Men’s softball came to a holt after one of softball’s greatest
and much loved players, Paul Maisey announced his retirement.

The Victorian’s decision to retire from international circuit
after 11 years and 136 caps came as a surprise to some, but for
Maisey, Melbourne seemed like the most appropriate time.

“The Commonwealth Men’s Championship seemed the perfect time
for me to retire. It was an international tournament, in my home
town, against the best in the world and it was in front of my
family and friends whom have supported me throughout my career,”
said Maisey.

Every time he stepped up to the plate, Maisey took his roles
within the Australian Open Men’s team, Aussie Steelers, very
seriously which the team benefited from on many occasions.

“Playing for Australia has been a life changing experience and
one worth all the hard work and dedication. I haven’t made a
fortune, but have travelled the world experiencing softball in
many different cultures. Representing your country is a great
honour and one you will never forget,” said Maisey.

Throughout his career he has played in three World Championships
(1996, 2000 and 2004), debuting for Australia in 1995 in New
Zealand where he hit a home run to score the first ever run against
New Zealand.

“I have had many great sporting moments which I can look back
on like hitting my first ever home run at international level
and also in 1996 where I hit back-to-back home runs against the
Owen Sound Tyrement. It was off a lefty pitcher named Brad Underwood
and we went on the win the game.

“I will miss this and the ultimate challenge and the chance to
test myself against the best. Most of all I will miss my teammates,
the friends I have won and lost with for so long,” continued
Masiey.

Maisey’s Mother was a big influence in his decision to take up
the sport in 1983 when every weekend he would go and watch her
play and coach at the local West Gippsland Softball Association.
The Association decided to hold a primary boys competition in
 which he participated and he fell in love with the game and
played ever since.

Softball has been a huge part of his life and although he has
retired from
international level, Maisey will continue playing for Victoria
who he currently captains.

“I will never retire from all levels of softball as I love the
game too much. I have
decided to keep representing Victoria, for as long as they will
have me, as well as play in local competition for my club team
the Metrans,” continued Maisey.

Maisey sees coaching as a direction he would like to take and
his message to the aspiring players is that “if you want it,
work hard and experience all the softball you can. Become a student
of the game and learn something from everyone you play with and
against and use it to continue to improve your game and become
the best softballer you can,” concluded Maisey.

Paul Maisey may have batted for Australia for the last time,
but the legend of his
fighting desire and his remarkable contribution to the sport
will live on.

DiAnne Lilburn
National Communications Coordinator
Softball Australia
Suite 4, Ground Floor
38-40 Prospect Street
Box Hill, Victoria 3128

T: +61 3 9890 8200
F: +61 3 9890 8295
M: +61 (0) 405 509 674

For more information visit www.softball.org.au

Did you know that Australia is the world's number one softball
nation?
World number two - Open Women's team (Aussie Spirit), Silver
Medallist (Athens, 2004), Bronze Medallists (Sydney 2000 and
Atlanta 1996).
World number one - Under 19 Men's team (Aussie Colts), three
consecutive World Championship titles.
World number three - Open Men's team (Aussie Steelers) and Under
19 Women's team (Aussie Pride).
   fastball at pmihrm.com