Decision time looms for NZCT White Sox

fastball fastball at pmihrm.com
Fri Mar 31 08:17:44 EST 2006

From:  Vance <vance(at)vanf-graphics.co.nz>
Subject:  Decision time looms for NZCT White Sox

Decision time looms for NZCT White Sox selectors
Friday March 31st 2006

The big decisions will be made and the crunch calls debated over
the nextweek as the NZCT White Sox selectors finalise their squad
to representNew Zealand at the 2006 Women’s World Softball Championships
in Beijing.

NZCT White Sox coach Mike Walsh will name his squad to travel
to Beijingon Thursday April 6th and the veteran coach admits
there are a few tightcalls to make.
In selecting the squad Walsh says he is looking for four pitchers,
twocatchers and a combination of infielders, outfielders and
utilityplayers.

“We are looking for a combination of youth and experience we
want to knowthe 17 who we take can help us obtain the goals we
are after,” saidWalsh.

Looking at the squad Walsh says he is looking for an injection
ofenthusiasm and desire and commitment to win. Results by the
White Sox onthe international scene in recent seasons haven’t
always reachedexpectations so Walsh says it is time for something
new.

“We need an injection, we can’t keep doing the same old same
old when weare not winning. We need 17 athletes who are prepared
to do what ever ittakes to win a medal at the world champs and
gain qualification for the2008 Olympics,” said Walsh.

In selecting the squad Walsh says he along with selectors Steve
Leitchand Gina Weber are looking for a range of skills both offensively
anddefensively along with a variety of hitting options.

Along with the squad of 17 that will be named next week up to
eight nontravelling reserves will also be selected and they will
train with thesquad over the next four months.

Once the squad has been named the focus will turn to preparing
forBeijing and the team will assemble for three five day training
camps inMay, June and July. The travelling team will then head
to Asia in earlyAugust for a short tour to lead into the world
champs which start onAugust 27th and run through to September
5th.

By SNZ Media Liaison: Kelly Mitchell
* mailto:kelly.mitchell at xtra.co.nz

http://www.softball.org.nz/