Last Chance for Aussie Softballers

fastball fastball at pmihrm.com
Wed Apr 12 23:06:09 EDT 2006

From:  "DiAnne Lilburn" <dianne.lilburn(at)softball.org.au>

Subject:  Last Chance for Aussie Softballers

Message

Media Release
Thursday 13 April 2006

Last Chance for Aussie Softballers

Blacktown Olympic Park in New South Wales will be a buzz next
week with the high speeds of pitches, the slogging of balls and
the sliding for home bases as Australia’s best take to the diamond.

The last round, round three of the 2005/2006 Grand Prix Series,
will take place from 14-17 April and will showcase Australia’s
best softballers from the five state institutes and academies
of sport (NSWIS, AIS, WAIS, VIS and QAS).

Fabian Barlow, Head Coach, Australian Open Women’s team said
that “so far, we have been really pleased with the quality shown
at the first two rounds of the Grand Prix Series and we are looking
forward to players showing consistency and strong performances
in round three.“

The last two series has seen tough competition between teams
as they vie for a spot in the Australian team.
NSWIS Blue took out the first round defeating Western Arrow 13-9
and round two saw QAS Heatwave beat the VIS Titans 11-4. So the
challenge is on to see who can take home the Audrey McLaughlin
Cup!

Following the Grand Prix Series, an Aussie Spirit team has been
selected to take on Chinese Taipei from 18-20 April 2006.

The International Series will display top level softball as both
teams begin to prepare for the International Softball Federation’s
Women’s World Championship which will be held in Beijing in August
2006.

“One of our major focuses for this international series is to
see where we are sitting in terms of the international competition
and what further developments are needed as we approach the Worlds,”
said Barlow.

The World Championship will be Australia’s chance to qualify
for participation at the Beijing Olympic Games in 2008. There
is a strong history between the two sides with Chinese Taipei
forcing Australia to go through a second qualifying series after
they defeated Australia during the 2002 play-offs.

“Chinese Taipei has a strong team and the series will give us
an opportunity to see what level they are playing at and what
improvements we need to make in time for the Worlds,” said Barlow.

The International Series and Grand Prix Series will feature Australia’s
top players and will be the last chance for players to make an
impression on the selectors for possible inclusion in the Australian
team for the ISF Women’s World Championship.

AVAILABLE FOR INTERVIEW

Fabian Barlow, Head Coach, Australian Open Women’s team.

FOR FURTHER INFORMATION, TEAM LISTS, DRAWS
___________________________________
DiAnne Lilburn
National Communications Coordinator
Softball Australia
Suite 4, Ground Floor
38-40 Prospect Street
Box Hill, Victoria 3128

T: +61 3 9890 8200
F: +61 3 9890 8295
M: +61 (0) 405 509 674

For more information visit www.softball.org.au

Did you know that Australia is the world's number one softball
nation?
World number two - Open Women's team (Aussie Spirit), Silver
Medallist (Athens, 2004), Bronze Medallists (Sydney 2000 and
Atlanta 1996).
World number one - Under 19 Men's team (Aussie Colts), three
consecutive World Championship titles.
World number three - Open Men's team (Aussie Steelers) and Under
19 Women's team (Aussie Pride).

   fastball at pmihrm.com

Visit our New Web Site! http://www.pmihrm.com