Canada's Senior Women's National Team defeats the New England Riptide by a score of 3 - 0

fastball fastball at pmihrm.com
Sat Jun 24 10:25:19 EDT 2006

From:  "Rick Picard" <rpicard(at)softball.ca>

Subject:  Softball Canada's Senior Women's National Team defeats
the New England Riptide by a score of 3 - 0

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

June 24, 2006

Canada defeats the New England Riptide by a score of 3 - 0

(Brampton, ON) - The Senior Women's National Team took to the
field looking to even the series with the New England Riptide
at Old Fairgrounds in Brampton, ON.

The tone of the game was set early as the nearly 900 fans joined
in with Amanda Vella, a grade nine student from the Mayfield
School of the Arts, in the singing of the National Anthem.

Team Canada jumped to an early three run lead in the bottom of
the first inning on a single from Alison Bradley (Pinkerton,
ON) to score Melanie Matthews (Surrey, BC) from second base.
 Cindy Eadie (Brantford, ON) rounded out the scoring on a single
scoring Sheena Lawrick (Calgary, AB) and Bradley.

U.S.A Olympian Danielle Henderson (Commack, NY) came in to relieve
Mariangee Bogado (Mariara, Venezuela) in the first inning and
held Team Canada to five hits and no runs in 6 innings of work.

Danielle Lawrie (Langley, BC) picked up the win for Canada throwing
a complete game allowing only 2 hits and striking out ten. "Tamra
called a good game" admitted Lawrie.  "Everything started to
flow between us.  The team was able to get runs early and as
a pitcher it gets your adrenaline going knowing that your team
is there to support you.  Having an early lead allowed us to
work through the batters and stay in control of the game."

"I'm pleased with tonight's performance" stated Lori Sippel,
Head Coach of the Women's National Team. "The Riptide are a great
team, they have excellent players capable of producing quality
offence.  It was a tight game until the end.  Danielle kept us
in control throughout the game."

Although tonight's game a sigh of relief for the Canadian athletes,
there is still some work to be done.  "We stranded ten runners
on base tonight" recalled Sippel.  "We have to find ways to keep
pushing.  We have to play harder as a team; we have to leave
it all out on the field."

The Senior Women's Canadian National Team will return to Peter
Hallman Ball Yard for the final two games of the Ontario Tour
with games on Saturday, June 24th at 7:00pm and Sunday, June
25th at 1:00pm.

For tickets and complete statistical information including game
sheets, please visit www.softball.ca

-30-

For more information, please contact:

Rick Picard