Junior White Sox take trip into the unknown

fastball fastball at pmihrm.com
Mon Jun 26 21:01:17 EDT 2006

From:  Vance <vanf(at)ihug.co.nz>

Subject:  Junior White Sox take trip into the unknown

Junior White Sox take trip into the unknown
Tuesday June 27th 2006

The school holidays may be upon us next week but for the Junior
White Soxit will be a case of learning overload over the next
two weeks as thesquad fly out for Vancouver to compete in the
Canada Cup Futurestournament.

A squad of 15 players will represent New Zealand at the Canada
CupFutures tournament for the first time in the sports history.
Thetournament sees over 30 club, provincial and national junior
teams fromaround the world taking to the diamond.

Junior White Sox coach Lynda O’Cain says the tour will be a huge
learningexperience for the team and a great opportunity to get
to playinternational softball.

“We need to get some international competition and this is one
of thepremier tournaments in women’s world softball. We are looking
to use thisas an opportunity to expose as many of our players
to the internationalgame as possible while also helping to identify
where the gaps are in oursquad ahead of the world champs next
year,” said O’Cain.

The Junior White Sox will fly out for the tour on June 30th with
theCanada Cup Futures tournament due to start on July 4th (NZ
time). At thetournament the Junior White Sox have five games
in round robin play wherethey will need to finish in the top
three to qualify for the championshipplayoffs.

The tour is something of a trip into the unknown for the Junior
White Soxas little is known about the opposition they will play
in the Canada Cupand for some in the squad the tour will be their
first taste ofinternational travel.

“We don’t know a lot about our opposition but we are expecting
it to bevery competitive. The tour is more about focusing on
what we are doingand working on combinations,” said O’Cain.

Along with performing on the diamond there will also be a strong
elementof learning off the diamond as the players sit back with
pencil in handto watch teams compete in the senior Canada Cup
tournament.

“This will be a chance for our players to see the best women’s
teams inthe world competing against each other. We will be active
spectatorswatching how the top teams warm up, see the different
styles of play fromthe different countries and look at specific
position play for individualplayers,” said O’Cain.

The tour is part of the long term planning in place ahead of
the JuniorWomen’s World Championships next year.

JUNIOR WHITE SOX TOURING SQUAD

Pitchers: Ashleigh Harmer Horowhenua, Courtney Maihi Waikato,
Jessica HauHutt Valley, Elisha Smith Canterbury

Catchers: Melanie Gettins Hawkes Bay, Okawa Priest Hutt Valley,

Infielders: Emma Frost Canterbury, Courtenay O’Donnell Auckland,
KatrinaStockford Hutt Valley, Brooke Cutting Wellington, Amber
IrvingAuckland,

Outfielders: Liani Samuel Hawkes Bay, Christina Paul Canterbury,
LaraAndrews Hutt Valley, Pauline Tahuri Auckland,

Utility: Carmelle Sorensen Canterbury,

Coach: Lynda O’Cain Auckland
Assistant Coach: Mandy Karatau-Keightley Canterbury
Assistant Coach: Philippa Ward Wellington

Manager: Lyn Lockhart Canterbury
Scorer: Vicky Griffiths Canterbury

Umpire: Lance Brown Wanganui
Canada Cup Round Robin Games
Tuesday July 4th 6.30am
New Zealand v Twin City T-Birds

Wednesday July 5th 4.00am
New Zealand v Surrey Storm

Thursday July 6th 9.00am
New Zealand v Okanagan Wildfire

Thursday July 6th 11.30am
New Zealand v WR Renegades - Desrosiers

Friday July 7th 4.00am
New Zealand v Calahoo Erins
Championship Round – Saturday July 8th – Monday July 10th
After round robin play the top three teams from each pool go
through tothe Championship Round. Additionally, the top remaining
team based onCanada Cup qualifying criteria, will earn a “Wild
Card” entry into theChampionship Round. The Championship Round
is double elimination with asudden death championship final.

Consolation Round – Saturday July 8th - Monday July 10th
The remainder of the teams will proceed to a modified, single
eliminationConsolation Round.

* Note the time difference between New Zealand and Surrey, BritishColumbia
sees team 20 hours behind us. All times listed in this draw areNew
Zealand times.

By SNZ Media Liaison: Kelly Mitchell
* mailto:kelly.mitchell at xtra.co.nz

http://www.softball.org.nz/