Fw: Canada opens with a win at Canada Cup of Softball

aldoran aldoran at pmihrm.com
Sat Jul 1 19:48:26 EDT 2006

Al Doran
VIA my BlackBerry
aldoran at pmihrm.com
fastball(at)pmihrm.com

-----Original Message-----
From: "Rick Picard" <rpicard at softball.ca>
Date: Sat, 1 Jul 2006 16:35:11
To:<"Undisclosed-Recipient:;"@localhost.localhost>
Subject: Canada opens with a win at Canada Cup of Softball

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

July 1, 2006

Canada opens with a win at Canada Cup

(Surrey, BC) - The Senior Women's National Team opened the Canada Cup tournament with a 7 to 0 win over the Delta Sunfire at Softball City in Surrey, BC.

Canada continued to showcase their strong defensive play committing no errors on the field and helping starting pitcher Robin Mackin (Newmarket, ON) throw a one hitter through 5 innings of work.  Mackin struck out 8 Sunfire batters and allowed only 2 walks.  "Erin Cumpstone and I worked well together" stated Mackin.  "We worked well with the defense and we felt in control of the game.  It was definitely a great start and it defines the way we expect to finish the tournament."

Canada's offense came into play today and complimented the Canadian defense.  Cindy Eadie (Brantford, ON) led the Canadian Offense going 2 for 3 at the plate with a triple and a double and drove in 3 runs.  Canada scored at least 2 runs in every inning except for the third.  "We took care of business today in regards to preparation" stated Eadie.  "We wanted to bring the best of ourselves to the field.  You can't take anyone too lightly."

"The team came out more prepared on an individual basis" stated Lori Sippel, Head coach of the Senior Women's National Team.  "Mackin controlled the ball game for us early and the offense hit the bats well.  One builds off the other.  Our goal coming into this game was to take care of the things we needed to and be at our best on the field.  It was a personal challenge for the players today and they braved that very well."

The Senior Women's National Team will look to continue their strong play on Sunday July 2nd as they face off in game two of the Canada Cup versus the Japanese Elite Team.

-30-

For more information please contact

Rick Picard

Director of Marketing and Communications

Softball Canada

rpicard at softball.ca

(613) 558-4663 (Cell)