Day 2 of Canada Cup Action - women

fastball fastball at pmihrm.com
Mon Jul 3 10:10:33 EDT 2006

Show Extended Headers - Format for Printing
From:  "Rick Picard" <rpicard(at)softball.ca>

Subject:  Day 2 of Canada Cup Action

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

July 2, 2006

Day 2 of Canada Cup Action

(Surrey, BC) - After a strong showing in game one of the Canada
Cup of Softball, Canada fell to the Japan Elite Team in extra
innings of game 2 of the tournament by a score of 2 to 1.

Kaila Holtz (North Vancouver, BC) got the start in the circle
for Canada.  Japan Elite pressured early in the second inning
managed to end the Japanese threat shutting down their offence
and holding them scoreless through 5 complete innings.

"This is where routine and practice shows up" stated Holtz.
"You have to see what you want and just take a deep breath.
I felt the whole team behind me, their support was important."

Canada pressured offensively throughout the game and was finally
rewarded in the bottom of the 5th inning with a stand up double
from Melanie Matthews (Surrey, BC) scoring pinch runner Katie
Hnatyk (London, ON) who stole second to be in scoring position.

Japan Elite responded almost immediately off a lead of bunt from
Kaoru Oyanagi who was brought home on a stand up double Sonoko
Kuniyoshi.  Japan continued to pressure in the 6th however was
eventually shut down by Danielle Lawrie (Langley, BC) who came
in to relieve Holtz.

Pitching continued to be dominant as extra innings were needed
to determine the winner. It was Japan who capitalized on the
international tie-breaking rule to score early in the 8th and
take a 2 to 1 win.

"Overall I'm very pleased with our performance today" said Lori
Sippel, Senior Women's National Team Head Coach.  "I felt that
Japan executed their short game very well and that was the difference.
 It was a great game; the fans got their money's worth."

In other Canada Cup action, the Canadian Elite Team improved
their record to 2 wins as they defeated the American Pastime
by a score of

Canada Elite exploded to an early lead with Shannon Rossiter
(Surrey, BC) hitting a 3 run homerun in the third inning to give
Canada Elite a 5 to 0 lead.  The Canadian Elite rallied off of
strong pitching from Ashley Lanz (Winnipeg, MB) scoring 6 runs
on 10 hits.

Lanz picked up the win for Canada Elite throwing a complete game
allowing only 1 hit and striking out 9 batters to shut out the
Pastime.

The Canadian Elite Team opened the tournament on July 1st with
an extra inning win against the Japan Denso Club.  Katie Rosentreter
(Winnipeg, MB) picked up the win for the Canadian Elite as the
Canadian Elite offense scored 8 runs on 19 hits.

Day three of Canada Cup action will feature the Canadian Elite
Team facing off against Australia and Venezuela and Canada facing
the Netherlands.  For complete statistical information, please
visit www.softball.ca.

-30-

For more information, please contact

Rick Picard

Director, Marketing and Communications

Softball Canada

rpicard at softball.ca

(613) - 558-4663 (Cell)

   fastball at pmihrm.com

2006 ISC World Tournament - Kitchener, Ontario
http://www.iscfastpitch.com/