Canada and Canada Elite Dodge Elimination With Explosive Offence

fastball fastball at pmihrm.com
Sat Jul 8 16:57:04 EDT 2006

From:  "Rick Picard" <rpicard(at)softball.ca>

Subject:  Canada and Canada Elite Dodge Elimination With Explosive
Offence

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

July 8, 2006

Canada and Canada Elite Dodge Elimination With Explosive Offence

(Surrey, BC) - The Senior Women's National Team came up big defeating
the Florida Quicksilver 7-1 in early morning playoff action at
the Canada Cup.

Facing elimination, Team Canada came up big taking an early 4-0
lead with Noemie Marin (Acton Vale, QC), Rachel Schill (Kitchener,
ON), Erin McLean (Whitby, ON) and Alison Bradley (Pinkerton,
ON) each driving in runs.  With bases loaded in the fourth, Bradley
singled to score 2 more runs and increase Canada's lead to 6
runs.  Erin Cumpstone (Saskatoon, SK) elevated Canada to a 7-1
win with a one run double in the seventh.

"I've been struggling with runners in scoring position" admitted
Bradley.  "The whole team was hitting well.  Coming into the
game my goal was simply to focus on execution, get the bat on
the ball and get the job done."

Danielle Lawrie (Langley, BC) picked up the win for Canada holding
Florida to only 1 run and 3 hits and striking out 11 in 6 complete
innings of work.  In the tournament, Lawrie has posted a 0.27
ERA (Earned Run Average) in 24 and two-thirds innings of work
striking out 44 of 97 batters faced.

"It was a solid team effort" stated Lawrie.  "As a pitcher you
are only as good as your catcher and defense.  Erin called a
good game.  She knew her scouting reports well and we pitched
to their weaknesses.  The defense was outstanding and their support
was a key factor in the win."

The game was called in the seventh due to an injury to the Florida
Quicksilver catcher.

With the win, Canada will face Venezuela at 3:30pm.  Canada will
need to defeat Venezuela to earn the right to continue their
Championship run.  For complete statistical information, please
visit www.softball.ca.

In other Canada Cup playoff action - Canada Elite faced a struggling
China in early morning action.  Canada Elite needed a win in
order to dodge elimination and keep their championship drive
alive.

Cambria MacKay (Brampton, ON) led the Canada Elite to a 10-3
win slugging a two-run homerun in the first inning and a two-run
homerun in the second inning.  Megan Timpf (Port Dover, ON),
also instrumental in the Elite's win, drove in three runs on
a second inning triple.

"Hitting hasn't been where I have wanted it to be" stated McKay.
 "It felt good to get the monkey off of my back especially against
a team like China.  The team is playing well together and to
be able to contribute to the team's success in a game like this
is a great feeling."

Katie Rosentreter (Winnipeg, MB) picked up the win for Canada
giving up only 4 hits in the ball game.  All 3 of China's runs
were unearned.

With the win, Canada Elite will face Japan Elite at 1:00pm and
will need to win 3 more games on the day if they hope to play
in the Championship game.  For complete statistical information,
please visit www.softball.ca.

-30-

For more information, please contact

Rick Picard

Director, Marketing and Communications

Softball Canada

rpicard at softball.ca

613-558-4663 (Cell)

   fastball at pmihrm.com

2006 ISC World Tournament - Kitchener, Ontario
http://www.iscfastpitch.com/