Canada Earns Silver at Canada Cup

fastball fastball at pmihrm.com
Mon Jul 10 07:36:25 EDT 2006

From:  "Rick Picard" <rpicard(at)softball.ca>

Subject:  Canada Earns Silver at Canada Cup

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

July 09, 2006

Canada Earns Silver at Canada Cup

(Surrey, BC) - Canada fell to Australia by a score of 6-4 in
the 2006 Canada Cup Championship Game.

Canada struck early on a Melanie Matthews (Surrey, BC) lead off
homerun in the third inning followed by a one run single from
Erin Cumpstone (Saskatoon, SK) to give Canada a 2-0 lead.

Danielle Lawrie (Langley, BC) received the start in the circle
for Canada and managed to tame the Australian offense holding
them to only 1 run through 4 innings of work.  Homeruns were
the difference for Australia as they combined 2 homeruns for
5 runs in the fifth inning to take a 4 run lead.

Canada pressured throughout the game and cut the Australian lead
to 2 runs falling 1 single short of tying the game late in the
seventh inning.

Despite the loss, the tournament was a positive outing for the
Canadian team who has learned the meaning of teamwork, dedication
and determination.  "Today, we focused on where we've come from
and where we want to go" stated Lori Sippel, Senior Women's National
Team Head Coach.  "We took the long road to get to the finals
and we needed every game in order to become the team we are today.
 Today, we ran out of steam in the circle and that's no discredit
to Lawrie and Holtz who were fantastic throughout the tournament
for us.  I'm proud of what we've accomplished on and off of the
field, we have so much to build on and we have just over a month
to get it done."

Team Canada will travel south of the border to compete in the
World Cup of Softball as they continue their training and their
journey towards the World Cup of Softball in late August.  For
complete statistical information, please visit www.softball.ca

In other Canada Cup Action - Three Canadian receive top honors
during closing ceremonies at the 2006 Canada Cup.

Canada's Danielle Lawrie was crowned top pitcher for her spectacular
performance during the Canada Cup allowing only 3 earned runs
throughout the tournament.  Melanie Matthews was nammed top hitter
posting an incredible batting average of over 0.500.  Cambrian
McKay (Brampton, ON) of the Elite Team was elected as top catcher.

-30-

For more information, please contact

Rick Picard

Director, Marketing and Communications

Softball Canada

rpicard at softball.ca

(613) 558-4663 (Cell)

   fastball at pmihrm.com

2006 ISC World Tournament - Kitchener, Ontario
http://www.iscfastpitch.com/