USA rolls past Australia to improve to 3-0 at World Cup - women

fastball fastball at pmihrm.com
Sat Jul 15 19:08:16 EDT 2006

From:  "Holly Krivokapich" <hollyk(at)softball.org>

Subject:  USA rolls past Australia to improve to 3-0 at World
Cup

Part Number: 3
Part Type: HTML

USA rolls past Australiato improve to 3-0 at World Cup

OklahomaCity, Okla.---The USA Softball Women’s National Team
cruised to an easy 9-0five inning win over Australia to improve
to 3-0 at the II World Cup ofSoftball presented by Kellogg’s
Frosted Flakes in Oklahoma City, Okla.Jessica Mendoza (Camarillo,
Calif.), who has been hotter than the Oklahomaweather, led the
U.S. at the plate going 2-for-2 with a double and four RBI.

“Icame into this World Cup and fed off the hype from last year
and what everyonewas questioning about if we could still dominate,”
Mendoza said. “The past couple of gamesadrenaline has been running
through our veins. Seeing the team come together isreally amazing
knowing everything we can do.”

Australianstarter, Kelly Gentle (Blacktown, New South Wales)
held the U.S. bats at bay for the first twoinnings but in the
third things changed quickly. Caitlin Lowe (TustinCalif.) led
off with a single up the middleand moved to third when Natasha
Watley (Irvine Calif.) reached on a throwingerror by Gentle.
Lowe scored the first run of the game on a sacrifice fly by Mendoza.
With Watley onsecond, Crystl Bustos (Canyon Country, Calif.was
intentionally walked.

After afielder’s choice by Stacey Nuveman (La VerneCalif.), Andrea
Duran (Selma, Calif.singled through the right side and moved
to second on a throw to the plate thatBustos was able to slide
around. Jenny Topping (Whittier, Calif.added two more runs with
a single left field to increase the lead to 4-0.

Australia went totheir bullpen in the fourth in hopes that Catherine
Bishop (AdelaideSouth Australia) could shutdown the U.S. momentumbut
it was not to be. Laura Berg (Santa FeSprings, Calif.and Lowe
had back-to-back infield hits to lead off the inning. Watley
thenreached on fielding error to load the bases for Mendoza who
laced a basesclearing double to left field. Bustos followed with
a single to left field toscore Mendoza and give the U.S. an 8-0lead.
A bases loaded single by Vicky Galindo provided the U.S. with
itsfinal run of the game.

CatOsterman (Houston, Texas) was solid in the shutout allowingonly
three hits and a walk while striking out six in five innings
for work.Kelly Gentle dropped to 1-1 in World Cup play after
allowing four runs on fivehits.

“It’snice to come out with a solid start and make a statement”,
Osterman said.“We wanted to come out and dominate and that’s
what we were able todo today with our offense.”

Australiais now 2-1 in World Cup play and will need to win out
if they hope to advanceto the finals. The U.S. willreturn tonight
to face Chinaat 7 p.m. while Australiaplays Japanat 9 p.m.

Check outwww.usasoftball.com for completecoverage of the II World
Cup of Softball presented by Kellogg’s frostedflakes.

   fastball at pmihrm.com

2006 ISC World Tournament - Kitchener, Ontario
http://www.iscfastpitch.com/