Canada_Set_To_Compete_in_XI_ISF_World_Championships_-_Cana

Al's Fastball News fastball at pmihrm.com
Wed Aug 23 10:10:51 EDT 2006

From:  "Rick Picard" <rpicard(at)softball.ca>

Subject:  Canada_Set_To_Compete_in_XI_ISF_World_Championships_-_Cana

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

August 24th, 2006

Canada Set To Compete in XI ISF World Championships

(OTTAWA - ON) - After earning a silver medal at the Canada Cup
and a bronze medal at the World Cup, the Senior Women's National
Team have their eyes set on the XI ISF World Championships taking
place August 27th to September 5th in Beijing, China.

A qualifier for the 2008 Summer Olympic Games, the XI International
Softball Federation (ISF) World Championship will qualify the
top four teams excluding China for the Olympic Games.

The XI ISF World Championships will be the official test event
for the Olympics and will take place at the new Olympic softball
stadium being built in Beijing, China.  Of the 16 teams participating,
Canada will face off, in pool play, against Italy, USA, New Zealand,
South Africa, DPR Korea, China and Great Britain in their efforts
to secure on Olympic berth.

As a country, Canada has qualified and participated in all three
Olympic Games since softball's inception at the Olympics in 1996.

Leading Canada to qualify at the World Championships are ISF
Hall of Fame member and Senior Women's National Team head coach
Lori Sippel (Stratford, ON) as well as former Olympic athletes
Lauren Bay (Trail, BC), Alison Bradley (Pinkerton, ON), Erin
Cumpstone (Saskatoon, SK), Cindy Eadie (Brantford, ON), Kaila
Holtz (North Vancouver, BC), Sheena Lawrick (Calgary, AB), Angela
Lichty (Guelph, ON), Kristy Odamura (Richmond, BC) and Rachel
Schill (Kitchener, ON).

Rounding out the team and making their first World Championship
appearance are Katie Hnatyk (London, ON), Tamra Howren (Surry,
BC), Danielle Lawrie (Langley, BC), Robin Mackin (Newmarket,
ON), Noemie Marin (Acton Vale, QC), Melanie Matthews (Surrey,
BC), Erin McLean (Whitby, ON) and Jennifer Salling (Port Coquitlam,
BC).

"I am very excited about our chances going into the 2006 World
Championships" stated Kevin Quinn, President of Softball Canada.
 "Our team is young but extremely talented. I believe we have
a much stronger offensive squad then our previous World Championship
teams and our pitching staff ranks right up there with the best
in the World. Lori Sippel has put together a strong coaching
staff who have done an outstanding job of preparing our athletes.
I am very excited about our chances of qualifying for the 2008
Olympic Games at the 2006 World Championships."

The ISF World Championships are held every four years.  For a
complete schedule or more information on this year's event please
visit www.2006softball.org.

Softball Canada is the National Sport Governing Body for the
development and regulation of softball in Canada.  Its broad
objectives are to promote, encourage and develop mass participation
and international excellence in softball.  For more information,
please visit www.softball.ca.

-SC-

For more information, please contact:

Rick Picard