USA Softball opens ISF World Championship with 6-1 win over Italy

Al's Fastball News fastball at pmihrm.com
Sun Aug 27 23:31:04 EDT 2006

From:  "Brian McCall" <bmccall(at)softball.org>

Subject:  USA Softball opens ISF World Championship with 6-1
win over Italy

Part Number: 3
Part Type: HTML

USA Softball opens ISFWorld Championship with 6-1 win over Italy

Beijing, China---The USA Softball Women’s National Team openedits
pursuit of a sixth consecutive ISF World Championship with a
6-1 win overItaly. Cat Osterman (Houston Texas) picked up her
first careerwin in a World Championship after going the distance
and allowing only oneunearned run.

“We were really ready to get startedafter being here for a few
days so it was good to come out and play” saidHead Coach Mike
Candrea. “Catthrew a great game and our offense was able to put
some runs on the board sonow we just have to go back, get some
sleep and come back ready to playtomorrow.”

The speed at the top of the USAlineup paid off in the first inning
as Caitlin Lowe (TustinCalif.) led off with a walk, moved to
secondon a sacrifice bunt by Natasha Watley (Irvine, Calif.)
and scored on a single by Jessica Mendoza (Camarillo, Calif.)
togive the U.S.a 1-0 lead.

After being shutout in the second inning, it was the top of the
lineupthat got things started again for the USA in the third
inning. The speedof Watley and Mendoza forced Italy’sdefense
to falter as both reached on fielding errors. With runners on
thecorners Italy’sKaithyin Gentile gunned down the speedy Mendozaas
she attempted to steal second to record the first out of the
inning.

With one out Crystl Bustos (Canyon Country, Calif.reached on
a fielder’s choice when Italy tried to pick-off Watley atthird.
An intentional walk to Stacey Nuveman (La VerneCalif.) that loaded
the bases did not pay offfor Italy as Andrea Duran (Selma, Calif.walked
as well to score Watley. Jennie Finch (La Mirada, Calif.followed
with a double that looked as if it would score two but Nuveman
wasthrown out at home.

The USAtook advantage of a pitching change and added two insurance
runs in the fourthwhen Breana DeSanta came in to relieve starter
Leslie Malerich. Mendoza laced an RBIsingle to right field to
score Lowe who reached on a fielder’s choice andBustos singled
to left field to score Watley who reached on an error.

Back-to-back errors by the U.S.defense provided Italywith its
only run of the game. Veronica Fontana reached to lead off the
inningwhen Finch dropped the throw from second baseman Lovie
Jung (Fountain Valley, Calif.).After swiping second base, Fontanascored
when Watley, attempting to throw her out on a fielder’s choice
atthird, hit her in the helmet and the ball rolled into left
field.

The U.S.tacked on a run in the bottom of the sixth when Duran
singled in Mendoza whoreached on a bunt single to lead off the
inning.

Osterman was solid in her first World Championship appearance
allowingonly two hits while striking out 14. The 14 strikeouts
are the most by a U.S. pitcher in World Championship competitionsince
July 30, 1998 when Lisa Fernandez fanned 14 against Australia
in the championship game.

“It felt really good to get thefirst game under our belts today,”
said Osterman. “It was good tobe on the mound for the first game
and to have our offense put runs up earlyand often.”

Malerich took the loss for Italy after allowing three runs inthree
innings of work. DeSanta, who relieved Malerich in the fourth
inning,also allowed three runs in three innings.

Mendoza, who led the U.S.earlier this year at the II World Cup
of Softball with a batting average of..634 and 16 RBI, continued
her dominance at the plate going 3-for-4 with twoRBI against
ItalyFinch recorded the only extra base hit of the game for the
U.S. with a double in the third inning and Berg(2-for-3) was
the only other U.S.player with more than one hit in the game.

The Red, White and Blue returns to action Sunday, August 27 at
11:30p.m. CT against DPR Korea, who won their opener 3-0 over
South Africa.

Notes:

Laura Berg (Santa Fe Springs, Calif.), making her fourth consecutive
World Championshipappearance, tied former teammates Dot Richardson
and Lisa Fernandez for theU.S. record. She was the named flag
bearer for the USA team as it marched into openingceremonies
Sunday morning at the ISF Women’s World Championship.

The USAhas now won 13 consecutive games in World Championship
competition dating backto July 30, 1998.

Mike Candrea continuesto be unbeaten at the World Championships
and is now 11-0 dating back to July26, 2002.

Additional quotes:
Coach Candrea

On who has the best chance of winning the2006 World Championships:

“It will take time this week to seewho the best is. We have had
the chance to see JapanChina, Canada and they are all good teams.It’s
always challenging during the World Championships and it’sunlike
any other tournament. We all know the teams here are very good
and wejust have to come out and do our best every game.

On defending World title and going forsixth-consecutive:

“We are obviously very excited to behere especially playing in
an Olympic venue. All the teams are bringing theirbest which
makes it an exciting event. This is definitely an event we lookforward
to especially since it is only hosted every four years and you
get tocompete for the World Championship title.”

Cat Osterman

On jet lag:

“We have had a few days here so thejet lag is getting better.
Personally I am a tad off because I keep on wakingup earlier.
The second day was the worst but we have had some good practiceshere
and some rest so we are ready to go.”

Laura Berg

On playing Italy:

“It felt good to finally get going.It was also nice to play against
a good team like Italy and get a win.”

On carrying flag

“It’s quite an honor in and ofitself to represent our country.
But it’s a special honor to be able tocarry the flag of the United
States and lead my team into such a greatevent like the World
Championships.”

   fastball at pmihrm.com