Canada Edges DPR Korea at XI ISF World Championships - ISF women

Al's Fastball News fastball at pmihrm.com
Wed Aug 30 14:25:16 EDT 2006

From:  <fanzone(at)softball.ca>

Subject:  Canada Edges DPR Korea at XI ISF World Championships

Fan Zone subscription Message
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
August 30, 2006

Canada Edges DPR Korea at XI ISF World Championships

(Beijing, China) - The Senior Women's National Team improved
their XI ISF World Championship record to three wins and one
loss after shutting out DPR Korea 2-0 in their fourth game of
the tournament.

In a classic defensive style game Canada took the early 1 run
lead in the first inning off of a Sheena Lawrick (Calgary, AB)
single scoring Melanie Matthews (Surrey, BC) who had previously
reached on a walk. Canada continued to pressure, however was
frustrated by DPR Korea's great defensive play.

It wasn't until the sixth inning, led by a Lawrick lead off double,
that Alison Bradley (Pinkerton, ON) sacrificed to score pinch
runner Noemie Marin (Acton Vale, QC) giving Canada a 2-0 edge
going into the seventh inning.

Lauren Bay (Trail, BC) pitched a full game for Canada and shut
down the DPR Korean offense striking out 11 batters and holding
them to only 1 hit. "We got another win under our belts today
which is our ultimate goal" stated Bay. "We are looking forward
to the game tomorrow against Italy."

Canada (3-1) will face Italy (1-3) in Thursday's round robin
game. Canada will then face South Africa (0-4) on Friday and
the Host China (4-0) on Saturday. For complete statistical information,
please visit www.softball.ca. For further in depth coverage of
the XI ISF World Championships including pictures and video casts,
please visit www.2006softball.org.

-SC-

For more information, please contact

Rick Picard