Venue named for junior women’s world championships

Al's Fastball News fastball at pmihrm.com
Wed Sep 20 09:10:43 EDT 2006

From:  Vance <vanf(at)ihug.co.nz>

Subject:  Venue_named_for_junior_women’s_world_

Venue named for junior women’s world championships
Wednesday September 20th 2006

The announcement of a venue for the 2007 Junior Women’s Softball
WorldChampionships has turned into something of a geography lesson
for manyinvolved with the Junior White Sox squad as they search
out just wherethe city of Kutno in Poland actually is.

The city of Kutno was announced as the venue for next year’s
juniorwomen’s world championships earlier this month by the InternationalSoftball
Federation.

Junior White Sox coach Lynda O’Cain admits to a degree of surpriseregarding
the venue commenting that even though she has spent many yearsin
Europe in the past she has never seen a Polish softball team.

“It (the world championships) is a big task and it couldn’t be
furtheraway to be honest, I understand Kutno is two hours from
Warsaw so it isnot a central point. Timing will see it played
in the European summer sowe have a time frame now,” said O’Cain.

With the venue named O’Cain says the team now has an indication
of whatis in front of them in terms of cost and travel and now
it will be a caseof putting together a campaign that is going
to prove effective.

O’Cain believes the key in preparing for the world champ next
season willbe game time. In July of this year the Junior White
Sox travelled toCanada to compete in the Futures Tournament of
the Canada Cup.

“There were a number of lessons that came out of Canada but a
major onewas the need to play games. We will be looking to build
training campsaround game opportunities as well as opportunities
for other squadmembers. We need to be playing so players are
exposed to game situationsunder pressure. This can be difficult
to recreate in training.”

“The challenge for us is to keep up with the pace given our resources
andisolation geographically. When we went to Canada we didn’t
really have anunderstanding of where the team stood in the big
picture. That was thefirst time we played together. I like to
think that we are going to bevery competitive but it comes down
to the opportunity to play games andgain experience,” said O’Cain.

At the Canada Cup earlier this year O’Cain says she was pleased
with theNew Zealand sides offense which was strong but she says
the team need toimprove on defence and still look to develop
pitchers who can dominate agame.

Along with the naming of the venue for the junior women’s world
champsthe location for the junior men’s world championships has
also beenannounced. That tournament will be held in 2008 in Whitehorse,
Yukon,Canada.

By SNZ Media Liaison: Kelly Mitchell
* mailto:kelly.mitchell at xtra.co.nz

http://www.softball.org.nz/