Canada Defeats Puerto Rico at Pan Am Championships

Al's Fastball News fastball at pmihrm.com
Mon Oct 2 17:00:57 EDT 2006

From:  <fanzone(at)softball.ca>

Subject:  Canada Defeats Puerto Rico at Pan Am Championships

Canada Defeats Puerto Rico at Pan Am Championships

(HERMOSILLO - Mexico) - Team Canada improved their record to
2 wins and 1 loss at the Pan Am Softball Championships with a
4-1 victory over Puerto Rico who were coming off a 6-4 extra
inning win over the home squad from Mexico the previous night.

All of Team Canada's runs came in the 3rd inning. Catcher Sean
O'Brien (Kitchener, ON) started the inning with a walk. After
singles by Kevin Schellenberg (Squamish, BC) and Ryan Wolfe (London,
ON) loaded the bases, Jeff Ellsworth (Alberton, PE) drove an
offering from Puerto Rican starter Juan Martinez up the middle
for a single scoring pinch runner Scott Newitt (Delta, BC). Schellenberg
and Wolfe would score on Rob Gray's double to right field and
Ellsworth completed the scoring by coming home on a fielder's
choice by 1st baseman Derek Mayson (North Vancouver, BC).

Canadian starter Nick Underhill (Campbell River, BC) kept the
Puerto Rican bats in check giving up only 2 hits over 5 innings
of work while striking out 7 and walking none. Frank Cox (Owen
Sound, ON) made his first appearance of the tournament, pitching
the last two innings striking out 4 Puerto Rican batters in the
process.

"It was hot but its something we just have to adjust to" stated
Underhill with the temperatures approaching 40 degrees Celsius
before noon. "As Canadians, we are not used to playing in this
much heat and all I was trying to do was give it my best to control
the game from the very first pitch and give our offence something
to work with."

"We got a great performance out of Nick Underhill" added Don
Bates, Pitching Coach for the Senior Men's National Team. "He
was in control all the way. It was nice to score some runs early
in the game. I think we had been pressing a bit too hard in our
two previous games."

Team Canada's next game is scheduled for today at 5:00 PM vs.
Venezuela.

-SC-

For more information, please contact

Rick Picard