Canada Drops to 2-2 at Pan Am Championships

Al's Fastball News fastball at pmihrm.com
Tue Oct 3 09:36:33 EDT 2006

From:  "Rick Picard" <rpicard(at)softball.ca>

Subject:  Softball Canada - Canada Drops to 2-2 at Pan Am Championships

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

October 3, 2006

Canada Drops to 2-2 at Pan Am Championships

(HERMOSILLO - Mexico) - Team Canada's record dropped to 2-2 at
the Pan American Softball Championships with a 2-1 loss to the
undefeated Venezuela on Monday October 2nd in Hermosillo, Mexico.

Venezuela took a quick lead in the top of the first inning when
third baseman Iran Paez took a 1-0 offering from Frank Cox (Owen
Sound, ON) over the left field fence. Canada responded in the
bottom half of the 1st when Pat Mackintosh (Saskatoon, SK) drove
a single to left field.  Mackintosh was then driven home on a
Rob Gray (Toronto, ON) triple.

Mackintosh was the only Canadian with more than one hit as he
singled again in the 3rd inning. "I've just been putting the
bat on the ball and it has been dropping in for hits” said Mackintosh.

Team Canada had runners in scoring position in both the 4th and
6th innings but was unable to deliver the timely hit needed to
tie the game.  Cox went the distance for Canada in the circle
and was credited with the loss allowing 2 runs on 3 hits striking
out 9 Venezuela batters.

Canada only managed 4 hits off the four Venezuelan pitchers that
saw action in the evening contest.  "We were beaten by a better
team tonight" stated Mark Smith, Head Coach. "Our inexperience
is showing but that’s why we’re here – to gain that experience.”

Canada will look to bounce back today as they face Ecuador (10:00
am) and the Host, Mexico (7:00 pm).  Canada will then face Argentina
(10:00 am) and the US Virgin Islands (7:00 pm) on Wednesday,
October 4th, Bahamas (8:00 am) on Thursday, October 5th and will
round out the round robin against Guatemala (5:00 pm) on Friday,
October 6th.

-SC-

For more information, please contact

Rick Picard