Canada Guaranteed a Medal at Pan Am Championships

Al's Fastball News fastball at pmihrm.com
Sun Oct 8 15:13:16 EDT 2006

From:  "Rick Picard" <rpicard(at)softball.ca>

:  Canada Guaranteed a Medal at Pan Am Championships

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

October 8, 2006

Canada Guaranteed a Medal at Pan Am Championships

(HERMOSILLO - Mexico) -  Canada has guaranteed themselves a medal
with a 4-1 win over USA at the Pan American Championships in
Hermosillo, Mexico.

Canada took to the early lead when Jeff Ellsworth (Alberton,
PE) led off the bottom of the second inning with a walk. Ian
Fehrman (Townsend, ON) kept his hot bat going when he drove a
2-1 offering from Algar over the right field fence.  “I believe
Algar thought it was a bunting situation" said Ferhman.  "He
threw me a drop ball over the middle of the plate. I got lucky
and it carried out.”

The Canadians increased their lead to 4-0 in the 5th. After a
1 out single by Scott Newitt (Delta, BC), left fielder Ryan Wolfe
(London, ON) hit a blast deep over the left field fence for a
2 run home run.

The Americans did not quit however, pressuring in he top of the
6th inning as they capitalized on an error and a single to get
their first run of the game.  USA continued their threat forcing
Canada to bring Nick Underhill (Campbell River, BC) into the
game to relieve Cox. Underhill’s first pitch hit Kyle Magnusson,
out of the jam by striking out Omar Moraga and Frank DeGroat
then tagging Miller out at the plate when catcher Sean O'Brien
(Kitchener, ON) chased a loose ball to the backstop and flipped
it to Underhill just in time to record the third out.

“It's just another game" stated O'Brien.  "When you’re surrounded
by good people, good things happen.  Frank was strong in the
circle for us tonight, when he hits his spots, he's very hard
to hit”  “(Kevin)Schellenberg made a number of big plays at shortstop
that helped the cause” added Cox.

Canada will now face Argentina in semi final action on Sunday,
October 08 at 4:00 pm.  The winner of the game will earn the
right to play Venezuela in the championship game at 8:00 pm on
October 8th while the loser will claim the bronze medal.

-SC-

For more information, please contact

Rick Picard

Director, Marketing and Communications