Saints tournament a chance for game time - NZ women

Al's Fastball News fastball at pmihrm.com
Wed Oct 25 09:07:13 EDT 2006

From:  Vance <vanf(at)ihug.co.nz>

Subject:  Saints tournament a chance for game time

Saints tournament a chance for game time
Wednesday October 25th 2006

After months of practicing and a slow start to the softball season
theSaints Premier One Women’s tournament at Fraser Park, Lower
Hutt thisweekend is a good chance for teams to get some game
time.

While the season officially started earlier this month most teams
in theregion have only had a couple of games due to the weather
and tournamentorganiser Naomi Shaw says the tournament this weekend
will offer a highlevel of competition and some much needed time
on the diamond.

“I know with my team Saints it feels like we have been training
for everso it will be nice to get some game time on the diamond,”
saidShaw.

The two day tournament begins on Saturday with eight teams entered
allcompeting to win their way through to the final on Sunday
afternoon. Theeight teams have been split into two pools for
round robin play, the toptwo teams after round robin play will
go on to contest the semifinals andfinal while the reaming sides
will battle it out for the minor placings.

Hot favourites for the tournament this weekend are Te Aroha whotraditionally
are a very strong team and have class international playersto
call on such as Melisa Upu and Zavana Aranga.

Also looking to push hard for the title will be last years runners
upJohnsonville along with Poneke Kilbirnie, Newlands, Tawa, Porirua,Taradale
of Hawkes Bay and the tournament hosts Saints.

Looking at the teams entered Shaw says it is nice to see some
teamsattending the tournament for the first time such as Tawa,
Porirua andTaradale.

“Now into its 12th year I think the tournament has established
itself asa successful tournament that is well run with the support
of the HuttValley umpires and scorers and the Saints tournament
committee.”

By SNZ Media Liaison: Kelly Mitchell
* mailto:kelly.mitchell at xtra.co.nz

http://www.softball.org.nz/