I Loved Bubba Bell !!

Al's Fastball News fastball at pmihrm.com
Sat Nov 4 08:45:07 EST 2006

From:  PeterJPorcelli(at)aol.com

Subject:  I Loved Bubba Bell !!

                                                 I LOVED BUBBA
BELL !!

      Life truly brings a somber mood and some real head shaking
to me thinking about the passing of Bubba. I have had to endure,
like all of us, the tragedies of the Chris Wilson’s, the Frankie
Forgraves, and Russ Boice, but this one hits me hard. Why, I
ask.

     When  I first saw Bubba, it was in Kimberley watching the
Hearts, back in 1993. He was at the plate and swinging out of
his shoes at a riseball served up by Chub Tangeroa. Having never
seen Bubba, I made a remark about his size and shape. Barry Kahler,
one of my players quickly told me to watch his hands, not his
body…I did. Bubba was not just quick with his hands, he was lightning.
 He cracked the next pitch over the fence for a solo home run
and his team still lost 7-1. I was very intrigued. After all,
I was new to this game and  just looking at him, I thought, at
first, he did not belong. But his hand speed and ability to see
the ball as a batter, flat out, shocked me.

     After that, whenever the Smokers traveled, I always looked
to see if Bubba was there, how Bubba was doing, got to know him
and continued following him with the Rage. I was to see him beat
several teams with his bat, saw his team lose many a game, some
heartbreakers.  In the few times we played against him, the goal
was not to keep him off the bases, we could not do that. Rather
 our goal was to keep him in the yard, and try to pitch to him
with no one on.  I made such a stink about him to my players
whenever we were in line to play him, that I was accused of being
obsessed with him. Maybe I was.

     Part of me was envious of the gift he had for hitting in
spite of his physical limitations in other respects. Part of
me just did not want to get beat by a team we were favored over.
Part of me wanted to enjoy his hitting as long as we had enough
of a lead I could, in fact enjoy him hit against my pitching.
I liked him very much. I admired his spirit of competition. I
enjoyed talking with him at tourneys, he was a smart cookie.
And I loved the fact he knew I paid particular attention to him,
and he always tried his very best to see his team beat us. I
think he wanted to beat me, partially for making it such a big
deal to follow him and beat his team.

     I feel the loss. I always say, when it is all over and done
(the competition) all we really have left is the people, but
that is the most important part. The people of our sport. They
are the true jewel, not the game. But the game makes it possible
for these special people like Bubba to come together and live
part of our lives together and enjoy, no,……. be thrilled by the
experience.

    Because of the people of this sport, I still can be highly
motivated, without having my own team to manage on the field
and  still be part of a team and be able to be a contributor
to the success of the ISC.  Bubba was one of those special people.
He will never be forgotten by me. I loved that son of a gun!
God Bless you forever, Bubba !

Peter J. Porcelli, II
Reply To: PeterJPorcelli at AOL.com

SILVERSTONE LENDING,LLC