Canada Falls to Third Place After Loss to Venezuela

Al's Fastball News fastball at pmihrm.com
Wed Nov 15 12:08:11 EST 2006

From:  "Rick Picard" <rpicard(at)softball.ca>

Subject:  Canada Falls to Third Place After Loss to Venezuela

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

November 15th, 2006

Canada Falls to Third Place After Loss to Venezuela

(Puerto Rico) - The Junior Women's National Team suffered a minor
set back after yesterday's 2-1 loss to Venezuela at the II Pan
American Championships.  The loss brings the Canadian's record
to 4 wins and 2 losses placing them in third behind Venezuela
and the United States.

After a scoreless and hitless first inning, Venezuela took to
the early lead scoring two runs on a throwing error and two illegal
pitches.

Even with a rocky second inning, Canada remained positive and
was rewarded in the fourth inning with a Heidi Purtzer (Scottsdale,
AZ) lead off homerun cutting the Venezuela lead to only one run.

"I felt really good going into this game and I was seeing the
ball well" stated Purtzer.  "I knew it was going to be a good
game and we never gave up until the very last pitch. Next time
we play them, we are going to be ready from the start."

Despite continued pressure the Venezuela defense continued to
frustrate Canada's offence.  Canada's best chance to tie the
game came in the bottom of the seventh inning as Jessica Tieszen
(Surrey, BC) doubled to left field.  Katie Soderberg (Delta,
BC) advanced Tieszen to third on a bunt and advanced to second
on a wild pitch.  With runners in scoring position and none out,
Venezuela pitcher Johana Gomez forced three consecutive outs
to end the Canadian threat and the game.

"This was a tough loss for us" said Head Coach Mark Sanderson.
 "We left too many base runners on base. We are still improving
and building for the weekend."

In other Pan American Championship Action - Canada's Monday night
game vs. Argentina was suspended during the fourth inning with
Canada leading 8-0.  The game resumed play on Tuesday evening
before the start of the Venezuela game.  Jillian Lafrance (Calgar,
AB) picked up the win for Canada allowing only one hit in four
innings of work.  The Canadian offence strung together 8 runs
on 11 hits.  The game was called in the fifth inning due to the
"run rule".

"Argentina fought hard throughout the game, but we came out ready
to play as a team" said Stephanie Leclair (Kitchener, ON).  "Everyone
contributed at the plate. Even with the rain delay we stayed
focused and finished of the game with a win."

The win against Argentina and the loss against Venezuela bring
Canada to a 4-2 record.  Canada will vie for a playoff position
as they face Columbia and Ecuador on Thursday, November 15th.
 The top four teams will advance to the playoff round beginning
Friday, November 17th.

For complete statistical information, please visit www.softball.ca.

-SC-

For more information, please contact