Canada Eliminated From II Pan American Championships

Al's Fastball News fastball at pmihrm.com
Sat Nov 18 17:40:53 EST 2006

From:  "Rick Picard" <rpicard(at)softball.ca>

Subject:  Canada Eliminated From II Pan American Championships

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

November 18, 2006

Canada Eliminated From II Pan American Championships

(Puerto Rico) - The Junior Women's National Team was eliminated
from the II Pan American Championships after a 5-3 loss to Puerto
Rico yesterday.

Errors continued to be costly for the Junior Canadians as Puerto
Rico took advantage of defensive errors to take a three run lead
after three innings of play.

Canada's offense came alive in the fifth inning when Tanya McLean
(Delta, BC) singled to right field.  Jessica Tieszen (Surrey,
BC) followed and advanced McLean to second on a solid shot to
left field.  After being advanced to third and second respectively
on a sacrifice fly, Richelle McGarva (Surrey, BC) singled to
center field scoring both McLean and Tieszen to cut the Puerto
Rico lead to one run.

Despite Canada's offensive pressure, Puerto Rico responded with
two unearned runs in the bottom of the fifth to reclaim their
three run lead.

Canada continued to press and added their final run in the seventh
inning when Katrina Lavadan (Scarborough, ON) tripled to right
center scoring McGarva who had previously reached on a single.

Courtney Cronin (Delta, BC) received the start for Canada in
the circle and gave up 3 hits leading to 3 unearned runs in just
over 2 innings of work before being relieved by Leah McIntosh
(Whitby, ON) to close out the third inning.  Jillian Lafrance
(Calgary, AB) closed out the game for Canada and was credited
for the loss giving up 2 unearned runs and 5 hits in three innings
of work.

"Despite all the obstacles we've had to face throughout the entire
tournament, we might not have won on the field, but we have definitely
grown as a family outside the diamond" stated Kelsey Ellis (Surrey,
BC) who was 1 for 1 on the night with a triple. "Unfortunately
tonight didn't go as we had hoped, but we are going to come back
with more heart and determination in Poland."

"A very tough outing for the team tonight" added Head Coach Mark
Sanderson. "We made a few mistakes defensively and our hits were
right at people. The team worked very hard and we are looking
toward the future."

Even with the loss, the Junior Women's National Team accomplished
their number one goal of qualifying for the 2007 Junior Women's
ISF World Championships taking place in Kunto, Poland.  The United
States, Venezuela, Puerto Rico and Argentina have also qualified.

For complete statistical information, please visit www.softball.ca

-SC-

For more information, please contact

Rick Picard