Tribute to Jim Buck - by Larry Lynch

Al's Fastball News fastball at pmihrm.com
Wed Mar 7 18:00:51 EST 2007

From:  <Larry.Lynch(at)kitchener.ca>

Subject:  Tribute to Jim Buck

I would like to take the opportunity to thank George Ryder for
his heartfelt tribute to our friend, Jim Buck.

Today , George and I joined the many friends and family members
in saying farewell to not only a great fan of fastball but a
man who served his country in the military for nearly 30 years.

I have experienced many highs and lows in the game of fastball.
Success has never come easy to a player , coach or sponsor who
steps up to play at the highest levels of this great game. When
we win we share it with our teammates, when we lose we often
find it a lonely road back home from the ball park.

Jim Buck went to war as an under aged youth ; he felt that strongly
about his freedom and the commitment to preserve it. He watched
his friends and family fall beside him in battle, he truly new
the loneliness of personal loss. When the war ended he tried
civilian life, married and started a family. He broke his back
in an work related accident and with a cast from neck to hips
was told he would never walk again. He fought that battle too,
and when he worked himself back to pass a medical reenlisted
in the military where he served with the United Nations, in Egypt
and abroad until 1972.

Jim was a fixture at ball parks in Ontario, always with his buddies
Winston and Gus.

When he was diagnosed with cancer last Fall, he knew what was
ahead for him. He'd nursed his late wife through that same disease
and lost her a couple years ago. He struggled with the option
of a major operation and confided in his friends, George, Winston,
Gus and  I among others. He chose not to suffer through surgery
but faced his immorality head on.

As Jim deteriorated, we talked by telephone dozens of times and
and we both new he has fading. Two weeks ago we had a lengthy
discussion about ball players and the coming season. As George
had indicated earlier  Jim had his favorites but he loved to
watch Paul Algar, Brian Stere, Jeff Spencer, Marty Kernagan and
 Darren Zack. He loved the cozy confines of Hillside Park and
the Waterloo Twins, and he always supported the local teams where
George Ryder coached or played. When we finished our conversation
that day I said to him " Jim, you sound a lot stronger today"
to which he replied " I always feel better when I'm talking about
softball ."

I take many memories of the 30 plus years spent in the game of
"big time fastball" , but none of the victories compare with
the friendships I have made along the way. Jim Buck was one of
my dearest friends and I am forever thankful to the game for
giving me the gift of that friendship .

I know many of those who read this will never know who it is
really about, but I also know that in every ball park across
the world there are people like Jim. They are a part of the fabric
of what our game is really all about. As players and coaches
we sometimes put ourselves above the game, but without our great
fans we would be playing to an empty set of stands. Take the
time to stop and say hello to the "fence sitters" in your ball
parks. Give those grizzled critics some of your time. It will
be a mutual reward I can assure you .

Jim would have turned 84 at the end of this week.

Rest in Peace my Friend,

Love,

Larry Lynch
<Larry.Lynch(at)kitchener.ca>