Monkton: World Fastball Invitational 2007 - update...

Al's Fastball News fastball at pmihrm.com
Wed May 2 13:17:04 EDT 2007

From:  "brian baillie" <theace012(at)hotmail.com>

Subject:  Monkton: World Fastball Invitational 2007 - update...

Monkton, Ont.

We are now less than 2 months away from our 4th edition of the
World
Fastball Invitational, and final preparations have shifted into
high gear
for our organizing committee and executive.

Those of you who have been here, know full well, and have come
to expect the
very best our sport has to offer, as well as appreciate our approach
to what
many consider the finest tourny on the globe. We set the standard,
and have
raised it each year. This upcoming tourny will be no exception.

The competing teams, I am very pleased to say, are all ranked
(at this point
in time by "fastball insiders") in the "top ten" in the world.
In fact, we
arguably boast the pre-season's #1 thru #7 ranked teams. In no
particular
order, they are:

Southern California Bombers
The Farm
Kitchener Hallman Twins
Patsy's
Gremlins/Broken Bow
Saskatoon Aspen Black Sox
Orillia Riversharks
Jarvis Merchants

Given the unfortunate demise of the County Materials team, and
the caliber
and parity of the teams listed above, each and every pitch is
crucial, and
we will crown a new Champion at this years event.
We are also extremely excited to once again be hosting the "Easton
Home Run
Challenge". A HUGE crowd turned out last year for this event,
and we are
anticipating even bigger crowds this year.The format will remain
the same -
one player will represent each team, as well as Travis Wilson
- last years
champion from Patsy's, will vie for the title (and possibly a
large sum of
cash???, new car???..) Believe me when I say - you don't want
to miss this!!
A major marketing and promotion campaign surrounding the Easton
Home Run
Challenge is under way to promote kids/youth softball, which
will in turn
benefit our local food bank. On Fri.(June 29) from 6:00pm on,
children 12
and under who bring a non-perishable food item (to be donated
to the food
bank) will be admitted into the tourny FREE as well as be eligible
for
numerous FREE draws and give-aways being held through-out the
Home Run
Challenge!!
Also aimed at getting more children to the park- and hopes of
increasing the
number of children enrolled in minor softball, we are holding
our first
ever "Kids Day" on Saturday June 30. Parents are encouraged to
bring their
children to the park, as we will have a day-care program complete
with
games, crafts, autograph sessions and amusement - all focussed
on softball
and Canada Day!

We are extremely pleased to have CKNX - AM920, FM 102.1, and
94.5 The Bull,
being on hand this year to broadcast live not only the final
game, but to
also cover our opening night games on Thurs June 28. We will
have links on
our website to catch all the action live via the internet from
anywhere in
the world.

What WFI would be complete without great food and great entertainment??
!!!

We will obviously have our huge (and now famous) Bud-Light beer
tent, as
well as the usual Sat night bar-b-q, Sunday morning brunch, and
the
fantastic foods, pie and ice-cream booths you have all come to
know and
love!
As for the entertainment, we will have a DJ/karaoake night on
Friday on the
beer-tent (a return of "Garth" McKintosh ??, perhaps a tiki-bar
??...) and
the incredible Need An Elevator performing live in the arena
on Sat night at
10:00

We are adding something new this year, in the likes of a "History
of Local
Softball". Displays, memorabilia, and stories abound from the
by-gone era
will be prevolent through-out the week-end in the lobby of the
arena. More
details to follow on this.

A complete listing of our "schedule of events" , and tournament
game-times
will be posted here on Al's and our tourny website www.monktonfastball.com

in the very near future.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank the Kitchener
Hallman Twins
for once again hosting/instructing our minor softball "Skills
and Pitching"
clinics recently. As always, a focus on fun done with professionalism,
and
grace. Thanks guys.
Being on the subject of local minor softball, I am absolutely
ecstatic to
report that enrollment is up in our minor program here locally,
as well as
many surrounding communities!!! We will have an additional 2
- possibly 3
minor teams here locally this summer!!

More info. to follow.....

Brian Baillie - Chairman