Missing Ducks Unlimited: Bad Quack in Schedule

Al's Fastball News fastball at pmihrm.com
Wed Jun 6 14:39:11 EDT 2007

From:  PeterJPorcelli(at)aol.com

            Missing Ducks Unlimited: Bad Quack in Schedule

 Dear Al,

I just got a chance to view the Ducks Unlimited draw for this
weekend and have to tell you I think this sport is missing the
boat “BIG TIME” where only Aspen Interiors, a local, is the
sole representative of the top ten ranked teams. That is very
troubling!!

     Most of you know I have been a huge proponent of Western
Canadian Fastpitch and its prowess and talent, not to mention
the quality of competition and the facilities. How much better
do you get than the Gordie Howe complex and across the street?
Fans in Saskatoon are huge fastball followers, and right up there
with Victoria in knowledge of the game.

     Now forgive me if Melfort is 20km away from the stadiums
I am used to playing in when I have gone there in years past,
but the fans do not change. The lack of participation by top
fifteen ranked clubs is appalling and I guarantee you the losers
will be the team who chose not to attend.

    I can give you three insurmountable reasons why you should
flock (first duck pun of the article) next year, since most of
you are staying south!

     Reason One: When the Farm, the Diamonds, and other top five
teams attended, they invariably witnessed the quality of talent
on those other teams that did not have the budget to attend the
ISC and were able to fortify and stock their roster with some
of those guys when injuries, or other reasons kept your full
squad from posting at the major tourneys and you needed the manpower.
Those teams are not household names, I will grant you, but the
talent and competitive spirit is there and they just need  the
exposure. Good managers never stand in the way of a player bettering
himself, so if they cannot afford to take a player to the lights
of Paris, then at least the top ten teams can give that opportunity.
It creates more excitement anyway.

     Reason Two:  Tosh & Paddy Mack…..These two guys are some
of the finest brothers in any sport you can imagine, including
the Mario Brothers on Atari! They work tirelessly to promote
the tourney, and Ducks Unlimited has a great reputation throughout
Canada as well. Ducks Unlimited can afford to pull the plug and
find other places to put their money, and what does that do to
help Fastpitch? Don’t get me wrong….the Diamondbacks may
not be nice to me on their website, but they are a first class
organization and I can assure you they have a surrounding cast
to promote this tourney right!  And who else honors neckbands
for beers the following year if you neglected to use the ones
you bought up this year? NO-BODY but Ducks Unlimited!!! I once
had a customs agent casually notice a duck’s neckband in my
attaché when he was perusing what I was bringing into the USA,
and immediately remarked about Ducks Unlimited!!

I told him they were unused beer tickets and he just looked at
me and waved me ahead….

     Reason Three: Saskatoon Itself!! It is the City of Bridges,
the City of Rivers, it is inexpensive wherever you go and stay
(once you get there). Car rentals cheap, hotels very inexpensive,
traffic easy to navigate, food varied and waitresses very accommodating
(they still have a problem with unsweetened ice tea), it is not
like you cannot drink the water… Saskatoon is a great value
once you get there and I guarantee you will get plenty of time
to bond with the guys, it has been known to get a few rain drops
this time of year.

But weather for ducks? No! It is June and weather for fastpitch
where you do not get worn out! It is a quick hop from Minneapolis
non-stop, and just about everyone changes there or is from near
there.

     Stanley Cup is again going to an American Team stocked with
Canucks and Finns. So what is there to do other than come to
this tourney? I know there are travel league commitments and
that is a very important commitment for all teams, but this tourney
has values that transcend the cost, and that is what I am ruffling
everyone’s feathers about!

  Take care and travel safe. One last remark……Good hunting
in your competition!

Peter J. Porcelli, II

Reply to: PeterJPorcelli at Aol.com

PeterJ.Porcelli,II