Junior Women’s Softball Team begins World Championships Tomorrow

Al's Fastball News fastball at pmihrm.com
Wed Jun 20 16:15:01 EDT 2007

From:  "Gilles Leblanc" <gleblanc(at)softball.ca>
Add to People Section

Subject:  Junior_Women's_Softball_Team_begins_World_Championships_To

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

June 20st, 2007

Junior Women’s Softball Team begins World Championships Tomorrow

(Enschede, Netherlands) – Softball Canada’s Junior Women’s National
Team will play their first game of the 2007 ISF Junior Women’s
World Championships tomorrow (June 21st) against Italy (6:30am
ET) in Enschede, Netherlands. The team is looking to build off
their 6th place finish at the previous World Championships in
2003. The World Championships opens today (June 20th) as host
Netherlands will play against Germany. Visit our website (www.softball.ca)
and click the World Championships banner for extensive video
coverage of the event.

The Canadian team performed very well in three exhibition games,
beating local club team Tex Town Tigers 7-0 on Sunday before
defeating 2003 bronze medalists Australia by a 5-2 score and
New Zealand 12-2 in 5 innings Tuesday.

“(The exhibition games) were a promising start and comforting
to see our team to come out aggressively” stated Robyn Draper,
who had key hits in both games on Tuesday. “We were strong offensively
but we need to work on our defensive side of the game. The team
looks forward to competing against other countries we have not
played and we are hopeful of being successful.”

“Today was a very good day for Canada” added Head Coach Mark
Sanderson. “After a day of rain we came out today ready to play
and showed very well against good competition. We also are very
appreciative of the organizing committee and the people in satellite
venues who were able to prepare diamonds that were under water
last night to allow us to be able to play our games today.”

The following players are representing Canada at the Junior Women’s
World Championships:

Jenna Caira
    Toronto, ON
Pearl Coleshill
   Stouffville, ON
Emily Densem
Toronto, ON
Charlotte Dolan
Coquitlam, BC
Corrine Doornberg                                          Langley,
BC
Robyn Draper
Brampton, ON
Megan Evans
Brooklin, ON
Jesslyn Hodge
 Vancouver, BC
Jillian Lafrance
   Calgary, AB
Katrina Lavadan                                             Scarborough,
ON
Stephanie LeClair                                           Kitchener,
ON
Richelle McGarva                                           Cloverdale,
BC
Leah McIntosh
Whitby, ON
Tanya McLean                                                Delta,
BC
Carly Moir
    White Rock, BC
Heidi Purtzer
   Scottsdale, Arizona
Jessica Tieszen
  South Surrey, BC

Coaching Staff:

Head Coach: Mark Sanderson                        Brampton, ON
Assistant Coach: Glenn Boles
   St. Catherines, ON
Assistant Coach: Cherene Hiesl                      Newmarket,
ON
Assistant Coach: Melissa Basilio                    Pickering,
ON
Operations Manager: Harvey Stevenson        Victoria, BC
Athletic Therapist: Mike Austin                     Toronto,
ON

-SC-

For more information, please contact:

Gilles LeBlanc

Sport/Recreation Management Intern

MBA in Sport and Recreation Management

University of New Brunswick

Coordinator, Marketing and Communications

Softball Canada

gleblanc at softball.ca

(613) 523-3386 ext 3105

   fastball at pmihrm.com