Canada Opens Junior Women’s World Championships with Win

Al's Fastball News fastball at pmihrm.com
Fri Jun 22 08:11:22 EDT 2007

From:  "Gilles Leblanc" <gleblanc(at)softball.ca>

Subject:  Canada_Opens_Junior_Women's_World_Championships_with_Win

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

June 21, 2007

Canada Opens Junior Women’s World Championships with Win

The Canadian National Junior Women’s Team opened the ISF Women’s
World Championships in Holland on a rainy day with a hard fought
2-1 win over Italy.

Canada banged out 7 hits but had to overcome a 1-0 third inning
deficit.  Jenna Caira picked up the win for Canada as she allowed
only 3 hits with 8 strike outs and 1 walk in a solid performance.

After a scoreless two innings Italy managed 2 hits off Caira
in the top of the 3rd inning.  After a one out single Italy sacrificed
the runner to second and followed with an RBI single past Canada’s
third baseman Carly Moir to give them the 1 run lead.

In the bottom of the inning Heidi Purtzer opened with a single
through the left side.  Jessica Tieszen laid a sac bunt down
and Purtzer tried to go to third on the play and was thrown by
the Italians on a heads up play by their catcher.

After a second rain delay Canada got back on even terms in the
fourth when Katrina Lavadan lined her second single of the game
to left field to open the inning.  Jesslyn Hodge laid down a
sac bunt and moved Lavadan to second.  Charlotte Dolan was intentionally
walked but Robyn Draper followed by lining a hard single to score
Lavadan and tie the game at 1.  Canada stranded two runners in
scoring position.

In the 5th Canada took the lead with a Tieszen one out single
to left.  Richelle McGarva followed with a double to left centre
and Tieszen scored all the way from first base to give Canada
a 2-1 lead.  Canada stranded McGarva at second.

In the 6th Dolan drilled a hard shot past the third baseman for
Canada’s 7th hit but was left there as Canada could not move
her.

In the top of the 7th things got interesting and Canada needed
to make a heads up play to keep their lead and secure the victory.
 Caira struck out the first batter but hit the second.  Canada
ran a pick off and caught the Italian runner off first but Draper’s
throw to second bounced and Hodge could not handle the throw.
 Caira got the second out with a strike out.  With two out and
a runner on second the Italian batter hit a slow bouncer to Moir
who fired to first base in a bang/bang play.  The batter was
called safe and the Italian coach sent his runner from second
home.  Canada’s first baseman Heidi Purtzer made a heads up play
with a quick throw to the plate and Draper managed to put a sweep
tag on the Italian runner as she tried to go around the Canadian
catcher to preserve the 2-1 win.

“After overcoming some first game jitters we believe the team
had a great start to the Tournament” commented team captains
Carly Moir and Robyn Draper after the game. “However we also
realize there is always room for improvement and the team will
only get stronger from here on out. The team has great potential
in medaling at this event, we have a close group of girls and
as long as we stay together we will be successful.  We plan on
taking it one day at a time, one game at a time and before we
know it we will be there in the final game next Saturday”

“After two long weeks of preparation, and an eventful start to
this journey, it was great to finally step on the field and see
the girls compete” added assistant coach Melissa Basilio. “This
group of young ladies has the tools and the heart.  And, in the
2 days of exhibition play and our first game today, this team
showed that they have great potential to bring a medal home to
Canada.

Canada plays Botswana tomorrow at 3 PM (9 AM ET). Games can be
seen live through

Written by: Glenn Boles, Assistant Coach

-SC-

For more information, contact:

Gilles LeBlanc

Sport/Recreation Management Intern

MBA in Sport and Recreation Management

University of New Brunswick

Softball Canada

Coordinator, Marketing and Communications

gleblanc(at)softball.ca

613-523-3386 ext 3105

   fastball at pmihrm.com