Team Canada Softball is currently tied with Japan for 1st place

Al's Fastball News fastball at pmihrm.com
Thu Jul 5 08:46:33 EDT 2007

From:  <wendydobbin(at)sympatico.ca>

Subject:  Team Canada Softball is currently tied with Japan for
1st place in the

For Immediate release: July 4, 2007

Going into the final day of pool play, Team Canada Softball is
currently tied with Japan for 1st place in the ‘red’ pool at
the 2007 Canada Cup International Softball Tournament.

For the fourth time in five games the Canadian team was able
to hit double digits in hits for the game with a stellar 16 hit
performance this evening against the Venezuela national team.
A number of players contributed to the hit parade including a
three for three night for Melanie Matthews, a two for two night
for Erin McLean, and a two hit performance by Noemie Marin. In
all, twelve different players hit safely while facing three different
pitchers from the visiting side.

Winning pitcher Danielle Lawrie went the distance for Team Canada
giving up 1 run on two hits while striking out five in her six
innings of work.

“We are here to prepare ourselves for the upcoming Pan Am Games
so having the opportunity to play a Pan Am opponent is huge in
our preparation” states Head Coach Lori Sippel. “I feel that
the team adjusted well to the different pitchers which will ultimately
give us confidence should we meet again in Rio.”

The game ended in the sixth inning on the run rule, when Team
Canada scored its eight run of the evening. Final score of Wednesdays
contest was 8-1 in favour of the red and white. Canada now is
5-0 in the Red pool. A showdown for 1st place going into the
playoffs will take place Thursday night at 6:30 pm at Softball
City in White Rock/Surrey, British Columbia.

For tournament and pool updates go to www.canadacup.com

For more information please contact:

Wendy Dobbin
Women’s National Team Coordinator