Senior Women’s National Team prepares for US World Cup of Softball

Al's Fastball News fastball at pmihrm.com
Wed Jul 11 14:07:19 EDT 2007

From:  "Gilles Leblanc" <gleblanc(at)softball.ca>

Subject:  Senior_Women's_National_Team_prepares_for_US_World_Cup_of_

MIME Ver:  1.0
Attachments:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

July 11th, 2007

Senior Women’s National Team prepares for US World Cup of Softball

(Oklahoma City, OK) – The Canadian Senior Women’s Softball Team
continues their busy summer schedule this week when they will
participate in the KFC World Cup of Softball III, which will
take place in Oklahoma City, OK from July 12th to 16th. Canada
will open its schedule against the Dominican Republic tomorrow
(8:30pm, ET). Four of the tournament’s six teams have already
qualified for the 2008 Olympic Games in Beijing; Canada, China,
Japan and the United States have already secured their berths
in the event. The two other teams competing in the KFC World
Cup – the Dominican Republic and Venezuela – will be competing
for one of the two final Olympic berths at an Olympic qualifying
event for the Americas which will be held in Caracas, Venezuela
from August 18th to 26th.

The Sports Network (TSN) has also announced that it will air
the round robin game between Canada and the United States on
Sunday July 15th, 2007 (1:00pm ET). Should Canada advance to
the gold medal game, TSN will also air the Championship Game
on Tuesday, July 17th (3:30pm).

“We appreciate TSN picking up coverage of this game against the
number one team in the world” said Softball Canada CEO Hugh Mitchener.
“We are also looking forward to seeing excellent television coverage
of our Women's team from the Olympics next year and of our Men's
team at the 2009 World Championships in Saskatoon.”

The nationally televised game should give Softball Canada and
its Senior Women’s Team a good amount of exposure in preparation
for the 2008 Summer Olympics in Beijing, China, and will also
help promote the sport of softball in all regions of Canada.

The following Canadian athletes will be making the trip to Oklahoma
City to represent their country at the KFC World Cup of Softball
III:

Alison Bradley – Pinkerton, ON

Erin Cumpstone – Saskatoon, SK

Erin Gee – Burnaby, BC

Sheena Lawrick – Calgary, AB

Danielle Lawrie – Langley, BC

Robin Mackin – Newmarket, ON

Noemie Marin – Acton-Vale, QC

Melanie Matthews – Surrey, BC

Cambria McKay – Brampton, ON

Erin McLean – Whitby, ON

Dione Meier – Saskatoon, SK
Kristy Odamura – Richmond, BC

Kaleigh Rafter – Guelph, ON

Katie Rosentreter – Winnipeg, MB

Jennifer Salling – Port Coquitlam, BC

Megan Timpf – Port Dover, ON

Janiva Willis – Irishtown, NB

Coaching Staff:

Lori Sippel, Head Coach

Lonni Alameda, Assistant Coach

Rich Church, Assistant Coach

Wendy Dobbin, Assistant Coach

Jim Peterson, Assistant Coach

Laurie Freebairn, Therapist

Team Canada Schedule:

Thursday, July 12th - Canada vs. Dominican Republic – 8:30pm
(ET)

Friday July 13th - Canada vs. Japan – 11:30am (ET)

Friday July 13th - Canada vs. Venezuela – 2:00pm (ET)

Saturday July 14th - Canada vs. China – 9:30pm (ET)

Sunday July 15th - Canada vs. USA – 12:00pm (ET) (*1:00pm ET
on TSN)

Monday July 16th - #6 Seed vs. #5 Seed – 12:30pm (ET)

Monday July 16th - #4 Seed vs. #3 Seed – 4:30pm (ET)

Monday July 16th - #2 Seed vs. #1 Seed – 8:00pm (ET) (*3:30pm
ET on Tuesday, July 17th on TSN)

-SC-

For more information, please contact:

Gilles LeBlanc

Sport/Recreation Management Intern

MBA in Sport and Recreation Management

University of New Brunswick

Coordinator, Marketing and Communications

Softball Canada

gleblanc at softball.ca

(613) 523-3386 ext 3105

   fastball at pmihrm.com