Decos EHS player Eric Zomerdijk hospitalized

Al's Fastball News fastball at pmihrm.com
Sun Jul 15 19:54:56 EDT 2007

From:  Norman.Ames(at)gielissen.nl

Subject:  Decos EHS player Eric Zomerdijk hospitalized

Haarlem, July 15th 2007

Dear softball friends,

We are sad to inform you that our player Eric Zomerdijk has been
hospitalized after being intentionally hit by a bat after the
game TIW Survivors - Decos EHS.

After Decos EHS beat TIW Survivors, one of the TIW Survivors
players first hit Zomerdijk in the ribs and immediately after
that crushed his jaw with a bat. We are definitely not used to
an incident like this in Softball The Netherlands and have to
consider this as an act from a lunatic coward.

Eric went down and was unconscious for about 5-10 minutes lying
on the field in a pool of blood. In the hospital he has been
diagnosed with a very heavy concussion and a broken jaw. Luckily
the brain scan didn't show any brain damage and they will probably
operate surgery tomorrow.

The idiot who did this has been immediately suspended for life
by his club and Softball The Netherlands will probably do the
same the coming week. He has not been arrested yet but will be
shortly.

Again, this has been a terrible act of violence by one man and
we will not let this affect our great game.

Our heart goes out to Eric and his family

Norman Ames
Decos EHS Fastpitch, Haarlem, The Netherlands

E-mail: norman.ames(at)gielissen.nl
Homepage: www.decos-ehs.nl

   fastball at pmihrm.com