Canada has high hopes for Pan American Games

Al's Fastball News fastball at pmihrm.com
Wed Jul 18 12:47:34 EDT 2007

From:  "Gilles LeBlanc" <gleblanc(at)softball.ca>

Subject:  Canada has high hopes for Pan American Games

FORIMMEDIATE RELEASE

July17th, 2007

Canadahas high hopes for Pan American Games

(Riode Janeiro, Brazil) – The Canadian Senior Women’s National
Teamwill begin its quest at the Pan American Games in Rio de
Janeiro, Brazil onMonday, July 23rd  when it will play its opening
game againstthe United States (10:30am, ET). The Canadian team
will be looking to continuetheir success at the Pan Am Games
as they have earned silver medals in both the1999 and 2003 Games,
losing to the powerful United States in the Gold MedalGame on
both occasions.

Canadais coming off a bronze medal finish at the KFC World Cup
of Softball III, wherethey played a solid all-around game. Their
only two losses came against USA andJapan, who happen to be ranked
first and second in the World respectively.

TheCanadian coaching staff has set high expectations for the
team and they do notfeel that they will disappoint. “We have
competed in the Canada Cup andjust finished the World Cup and
feel as prepared as we can be for the upcomingPan American Games”
stated Head Coach Lori Sippel. “We expect to bein the Championship
game. It will be a tournament which will require and testour
ability to focus and bring consistent play as the two games a
day formatwill be a challenge in itself.”

“Weneed to play as a team and be consistent in our preparation
for each game. Oncethe contest begins, we must focus on investing
in each pitch and not gettingahead of ourselves. As long as we
play the game that is in front of us, Iexpect good things to
happen for Canada.”

Canadawill play seven round robin games in four days, including
three doubleheadersin consecutive days to open the tournament.
When asked about thetournament’s schedule, Sippel had this to
say: “It is what it is.The two games a day schedule is the same
for everyone so we will do our best tothrive in it.”

Inother news, it was announced by the Pan American Sports Organization
(PASO)President, Mario Vasquez Rana, in Rio de Janeiro that Women’s
Softballwould be included on the program of the 2011 Pan American
Games in Guadalajara,Mexico. Efforts are continuing to see that
Men’s Softball is alsoincluded on the program in 2011.

Thefollowing Canadian athletes will be representing their country
at the 2007 PanAmerican Games in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil:

TeamRoster

AlisonBradley – Pinkerton, ON

ErinCumpstone – Saskatoon, SK

ErinGee – Burnaby, BC

SheenaLawrick – Calgary, AB

DanielleLawrie – Langley, BC

RobinMackin – Newmarket, ON

NoemieMarin – Acton-Vale, QC

MelanieMatthews – Surrey, BC

CambriaMcKay – Brampton, ON

ErinMcLean – Whitby, ON

DioneMeier – Saskatoon, SK
Kristy Odamura – Richmond, BC

KaleighRafter – Guelph, ON

KatieRosentreter – Winnipeg, MB

JenniferSalling – Port Coquitlam, BC

MeganTimpf – Port Dover, ON

JanivaWillis – Irishtown, NB

CoachingStaff:

LoriSippel, Head Coach

LonniAlameda, Assistant Coach

RickChurch, Assistant Coach

WendyDobbin, Assistant Coach

JimPeterson, Assistant Coach

Marie-ClaudeLapointe, ChPC, Apprentice Coach

LaurieFreebairn, Therapist

TeamCanada Schedule:

MondayJuly 23rd           Canada vs. United States – 10:30am
(ET)

Canada vs. Puerto Rico – 3:30pm (ET)

TuesdayJuly 24th        - Canada vs. Cuba– 8:00am (ET)

Canada vs. Brazil – 3:30pm (ET)

WednesdayJuly 25th   - Canada vs. Argentina – 8:00am (ET)

Canada vs. Venezuela – 10:30am (ET)

ThursdayJuly 26th       - Canada vs. Columbia– 10:30am (ET)

FridayJuly 27th           -Semi-finals – 10:30am (ET)

                                    -Semi-finals – 1:00pm (ET)

SaturdayJuly 28th       - Bronze Medal Game– 9:30 am (ET)

                                    -Gold Medal Game – 1:00pm
(ET)

-SC-

Formore information, please contact:

GillesLeBlanc

Sport/RecreationManagement Intern

MBAin Sport and Recreation Management

Universityof New Brunswick

Coordinator,Marketing and Communications

SoftballCanada

gleblanc at softball.ca

(613)523-3386 ext 3105

   fastball at pmihrm.com