Goal achieved: Palmerston, ONT. takes Midget Girls EC title in 12 inning marathon

Al's Fastball News fastball at pmihrm.com
Sun Aug 26 23:35:51 EDT 2007

From:  Pat Healey <pathealey at eastlink.ca>

Subject:  Goal achieved: Palmerston, ONT. takes Midget Girls
EC title in 12 inning marathon

Goal achieved: Palmerston takes Midget

Girls EC title in 12 inning marathon

BY PAT HEALEY

MEDIA

ALBERTON - The Palmerston Marlins set a goal at the start of
the year to win gold. Sunday they accomplished that, but it took
a little longer then anyone may have expected.

Brittany Horton hit a Holly Denny offering to the outfield, plating
DeeDee Schiestel from third base with the game’s only run to
send an ecstatic Marlins team bursting onto the field in celebration
of the thrilling 1-0 win over Cole Harbour Comets at Memorial
Park here in Alberton.

Schiestel, who had reached on a single, advanced to second on
first basemen Krista Davie’s hit. She took third on a passed
ball.

It was the only amount of offense mounted in the three hour-plus
game that saw Denny sit down 16 batters and go all 12 innings,
appearing to gain speed and momentum as the game wore on. She
struck out 17 in the Comets previous two games, a 10-0 win over
the host Prince County Heat in the first semi final Sunday morning
before squeaking by the Cornwall Cougars 3-2 in the second semi.

"We knew our bats would be there and our defence won us this
game, " Horton, named the tournament’s top batter with a 9-for-13
summary and round robin MVP with eight RBI, said. "When I hit
the ball and saw it go to the outfield, I was so exciting.

Denny said she was just trying to give her csquad a chance to
win it. She shiowed that when she hit a double to deep right
in the top of ninth and tried to stretch it into a triple but
was thrown out on a close play at third.

"I never give up, it was a very good tournament," she said. "I’m
speechless, even though we lost gold, silver is the next best
thing."

Comet coach Steve Smith said the outcome of the game showed how
well balanced both squads were "By far both teams dug down deep
to make for this result," he said. "Ithe amazing thing was Holly’s
speed kept getting faster each inning."

Palmerston had to use three pitchers to get through the 12 innings
after starter Steph Doerr lasted just two innings due to an injury
on her pitching hand. Pickup Melissa Bowyer replaced Doerr for
one inning before Jess Doerr took over, going the rest of the
way - nine innings - surrendering eight hits, walking three and
striking out two.

The Marlins shut down a rally by the Comets in the seventh when
they turned the double play, getting pinch runner Nikki Strowbridge
out on the force at second and centerfielder Jill McCracken at
first

Palmerston had a base runner on in each inning but five innings,
failing to capitalize on them all until the 12th.They had runners
at third base twice with no out, and then were sat down in order
by the hard throwing Denny.

Palmerston, who has seven last eyar players and four second year
players, advanced by beating the Cornwall Cougars 7-0 Saturday
night in a playoff game.

Marlins coach Brent Reading said he’s been in some amrath0on
games as a young player at 20, but never in his 20 plus years
of coaching. He was also proud to see the host province have
two teams in the top four, the Cougars who picked up the bronze
medal and the host P.E.I. champion Prince County Heat.

"It was really something to watch<‘ he said of the game. "It’s
a dream come true for the girls. When I saw Brittany hit that
single, I was so happy for the girls.

"Wee set a goal at the start of the year to win gold and now
we’ve accomplished that."

Davie (2-5), Schiestel (2-4) and Ashley Brunkard (1-5) also had
hot bats for Palmerston.

Denny (2-4), Amanda Somers (2-45, Kathleen Higgins ( 2-5) and
Ashley Taweel (1-5) had the Nova Scotia offense.

Jess Doerr earned the win, going nine innings with two strikeouts,
three walks, eight hits. Steph Doerr started before Melissa Bowyer
came on for an inning. Denny took the loss allowing one run on
seven hits, walking three and 16 strikeouts.

Meanwhile, with the loss to the Comets in semifinal 2, the Cornwall
Cougars finish with no shame and a very impressive third place,
good enough for bronze.

Taweel scored the eventual game winning run in the 3-2 win by
Cole Harbour with two out on a passed ball by Charlie Johnston.

Amanda Somers (2-4double RBI), Erin Handspiker (2-4, RBI), Liz
Landry (1-2) and Holly Denny (2-4) led the attack.

Amanda Creamer (2-4), all star shortstop Katherine Hay (1-4,
run scored), Leanne Doiron (1-2, run scored) were tops for Cornwall.

"It was a real good game," Cougars coach Donnie Johnston said.
"The little things played a big role in that game. Both teams
left a lot of runners on base.

"It was just sad someone had to lose that game.

However, Johnstone told his girls to take solace in the fact
they did something no other PEI entry has done at the minor level
at an Eastern Canadian - bring home a medal.

"It’s great to be the first to do that."

Denny went the distance fanning eight on six hits and one walk.
Top pitcher Charlie Johnston suffered the loss, throwing a complete
game, allowing three runs on 10 hits with 10 strikeouts.

In the first semifinal Sunday morning, Denny struck out nine
while tossing a one hitter and seeing just four Prince County
Heat hitters reach base (two walks and a dropped third strike
accounted for the other runners).as Cole Harbour mercied the
Heat 10-0 in five innings.

Bianca Handspiker (3-3, two runs scored), Lyndsay LeBlanc (2-3,
two RBI, two runs scored), Nikki Strowbridge (1-1, double) and
Amanda Somers (2-2two RBI) had the hot bats for the Nova Scotia
two reps.

Kayla Paynter had the lone Heat hit.

Prince County used three pitchers with starter Karen Gallant
getting tagged with the loss.

The Heat finished in fourth out of 12 teams in the tournament.

   fastball at pmihrm.com