Softball Canada Announces 2008 Olympic Women’s Softball Team

Al's Fastball News fastball at pmihrm.com
Fri Oct 19 17:11:08 EDT 2007

From:  "Gilles LeBlanc" <gleblanc(at)softball.ca>

Subject:  RE:_Softball_Canada_Announces_2008_Olympic_Women's_Softbal

FYI – Kaleigh Rafter is from Guelph, ON and not from Winnipeg,
MB as noted earlier.

I apologize for the mistake.

Gilles LeBlanc
Manager: Marketing and Communications Services

Softball Canada
223 Colonnade Road, Ste 212
Ottawa, ON  K2E 7K3

gleblanc at softball.ca
(613) 523-3386 ext 3105
(613) 523-5761 (fax)

From: Gilles LeBlanc[mailto:gleblanc at softball.ca]

FORIMMEDIATE RELEASE

October19th, 2007

SoftballCanada Announces 2008 Olympic Women’s Softball Team

(Ottawa,ON) – Softball Canada is pleased to announce the fifteen
(15) players who have beenselected to represent their country
at the 2008 Olympic Games in Beijing, Chinanext August.

HeadCoach Lori Sippel commented “The final selection decisions
were difficult. Wehave increased the depth of our program and
the competition for positions onthe team was a reflection of
that. I would like to thank all the players whoput themselves
on the line for a spot on the roster; we will be a better teamfor
their efforts.”

TheCanadian team is currently ranked fifth in the World based
on their finish atlast year’s ISF World Championships, but over
the past summer, they have shownthat they can compete with the
teams ahead of them in the world rankings. Thered and white played
very solid games in 2007, registering wins against Japan(2nd),
Australia (3rd) and China (4th), andthey expect to be in the
thick of the battle for a podium finish in Beijing.Podium finishes
in 2007 included a Bronze at the World Cup, Silver at thePan-American
Games, Silver at the China Cup and Gold at the Universiade.

CoachSippel added “Now our focus is squarely on August 12, 2008
and the start of theOlympic tournament. We are putting together
an excellent preparation programand I know that our players are
committed to being at their best for theOlympics.”

TheOlympians listed below will travel to Las Vegas, Nevada in
late January tobegin centralized training and play several games
against NCAA competition.They will then travel to Australia in
March where they will continue theirtraining at the site of the
2000 Olympic Games in Blacktown, Australia and willplay against
the Australian and Japanese national teams. April and May are
setaside for specialized training before the team re-groups in
early June. Theexact schedule from that point on is in the process
of being finalized but willinclude the Canada Cup in Surrey,
BC from July 12-20.

Thefollowing athletes have been selected by the coaching staff
to represent Canadaat the 2008 Olympic Games:

DanielleLawrie – Langley,BC                     Jennifer Salling
– Port Coquitlam, BC

RobinMackin – Newmarket,ON                  Alison Bradley –
Pinkerton, ON

LaurenBay Regula – Trail,BC                     Melanie Matthews
– Surrey, BC

DioneMeier – Saskatoon,SK                       Caitlin Lever
– Amherst, New York

ErinCumpstone – Saskatoon,SK                 Noémie Marin – Acton-Vale,
QC

SheenaLawrick – Calgary,AB                     Jennifer Yee –
North Delta, BC

ErinMcLean – Whitby,ON                          Megan Timpf –
Port Dover, ON

KaleighRafter –  GUELPH, ON

-SC-

Formore information, please contact: