Aussies prepare for top honour

Al's Fastball News fastball at pmihrm.com
Fri Nov 2 08:47:56 EDT 2007

From:  "DiAnne Lilburn" <dianne.lilburn(at)softball.org.au>

Subject:  Aussies prepare for top honour

Media Release

Aussies prepare for top honour

Two Australian softball umpires have been selected to umpirethe
sport of softball at the 2008 Olympic Games in Beijing.

Debbie Grove, who just last month picked up the SoftballAustralia
Umpire of the Year Award, has been appointed alongside Dianne
Waller.

The pair, who are both from Victoria, are among 12 umpires,six
females and six males, to have been selected from around the
world,including from countries not participating in the Olympics.

At the recent International Softball Federation Congressheld
in Manila, the announcement was made and the list of officials
released.

Debbie and Diane were unaware of their nominations and wereboth
ecstatic to hear that they had been selected after receiving
a phone callfrom Softball Australia’s National Umpire-in-Chief,
Andrew Rindfleishduring the Congress.

“I received an email and then spoke to Andrew whoadvised me that
I had been selected to umpire at the Olympic Games. It was sucha
surprise and complete honour to have been nominated by SoftballAustralia,”
said Debbie.

Debbie who has been involved in softball for 40 years andhas
umpired for 20 of them, recently umpired at her fourth ISF WorldChampionship,
the ISF Junior Women’s World Championship in theNetherlands.

Her involvement at such a high level for a number of yearsenabled
her to meet the criteria set out by the ISF.

“This is the first time that I have been selected forthe Olympics
so it just so exciting. I have umpired at four world championshipsso
it will be interesting to see if and who different it is at this
level. Itis a bonus that Di has been selected as well,” concluded
Debbie.

Diane has been involved in the game for 30 years as aplayer,
coach, examiner and umpire. She also has a long list of achievements
atnational and international competitions. She has been to China
and Beijing andis looking forward to going again.

Although Diane cannot remember her initial reaction to thephone
call, she says that she still cannot believe it.

“I think I am still in shock. I am just so excitedabout being
nominated and selected. My initial reaction to the phone call
wasWOW and I threw my hands up into the air,” said Diane.

Umpiring is a love of Diane’s and she has been on thediamond
for 17 years and for her is about friendship and being consistent
anhonest. Her philosophy - “you need to umpire to the best of
your abilityevery time that you step out onto the diamond”.

“It’s the camaraderie of people you meet. It islike a big family
that just keeps growing like the game,” concludedDiane.

The selection of two umpires from Australia is testament tothe
standard of the Softball Australia umpiring programs. To have
two femalesis truly a positive affirmation that the female component
of our umpiringprogram is the equal of any in the world.

AVAILABLE FOR INTERVIEW

Debbie Grove

Diane Waller

FOR FURTHER INFORMATION