We Are Coaches Grants for NCCP Community Sport Clinics

Al's Fastball News fastball at pmihrm.com
Wed Feb 6 06:26:47 EST 2008

From:  Softball Ontario's Participation Program <lcrompton(at)softballontario.ca>

Subject:  We Are Coaches Grants for NCCP Community Sport Clinics

NEWSRELEASE

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CONTACT:      StephanieSutton
                     (416) 426-7150
                     ssutton(at)softballontario.ca

DATE:           February6, 2008

and the Coaching Association ofCanada.  The “We AreCoaches” program
provides financial assistancefor NCCP coaching clinics at the
house league level.  Thisopportunity is ideal for Softball Associations
who are interested in hosting aSoftball Ontario/National Coaching
Certification Program “Lean to Coach”(officially called Community
Sport-Initiation) or “Keep Coaching"(officially called Community
Sport-On-Going Participantation)clinic(s).  Softball Ontario
delivers the National CoachingCertification Program for Softball
in the Province ofOntario.

“We Are coaches” is a campaigndesigned to increase the number
of trained Women coaches in Canada in order toprovide female
mentors and role models for young participants. The campaign
targetsmothers with children involved in community level softball
as well as youngwomen looking to coach community softball teams,
and strongly communicates thesense of community, reward, and
FUN that can be achieved throughcoaching.

The “We Arecoaches” program is currently at theend of it's 3
year pilot phase. In year one of the campaign, CoachesAssociation
of Canada partnered with Softball Canada to pilot this initiativewith
3 host communities including Orleans, ON.  The second year of
the campaign,the following Ontario softball communities participated:
Windsor, ON, St. Catharines, ON and Orleans, ON. Softball Canada
iscurrently recruiting host communities for Year 3 of the pilotprogram.

Local communitiesin Ontario are expected to recruit Women to
participate in the “We AreCoaches” program, to host a Softball's
National CoachingCertification Program (NCCP) community sport
workshops (Learn to Coach andKeep Coaching) NCCP clinic for these
women, to offer these trained womencoaches a coaching position
within their organization and to provideinformation to a researcher
studying the “WeAre Coaches” program.  The host community can
alsooffer additional training and support in open and friendly
forums tofurther encourage and assist these women in becoming
successful communitycoaches. This program is in it's final year
of a 3 year pilot program. Ifthe program is extended by Sport
Canada, host communities will received grantsof decreasing amounts
for the next 3 years (2008-2011).

In aneffort to continually enhance Canada's community sport programs
through coachtraining and developmental activities, six (6) grants
of $1500 each will beawarded to local softball organizations
across Canada.

Thecommunity coaching grants for Year 3 host communities must
be completed byMarch 31, 2008. If you are interested in participatingin
this program after March 31, 2008, please forward your interested
aswell. The Coaching Association of Canada and Softball Canada
areresponsible for the financial assistance of “WeAre Coaches”
grant while Softball Ontario is responsbilefor the administration
of the program. If you feel your localsoftball association would
benefit from “WeAre Coaches” program, please contact LiseJubinville
at Softball Canada ljubinville at softball.ca or 613-523-3386, x-3108
byFebruary, 15, 2008 to express yourinterest.

Ifyou have any questions regarding hosting a Community Sport
Clinic (Learn toCoach and Keep Coaching), contact Stephanie Sutton
at ssutton(at)softballontario.ca or call416-426-7150.

Softball Ontario is the governing body for the sport of softballin
Ontario. Our goal is to promote and develop the sport of softball
for itsathletes, officials, coaches and volunteers by providing
programs andservices at all levels of competitions.

   fastball at pmihrm.com